Youth and Family Ministry
Do you have a heart to serve teenagers? Or, do you have a passion for leading children?
MVNU’s Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Youth and Family Ministry will give you the foundation needed to provide pastoral care and leadership to either children or teenagers, along with their families. Students in this program will receive both the academic and practical education provided by the Christian Ministry major, but will receive specialized focus and training through the concentration in either youth ministry or children’s ministry. Graduates will be equipped and ready to serve as youth pastors or children’s pastors in a local church ministry.
- Qualified Faculty — MVNU faculty are not only qualified academically, but also bring ministry experience to the classroom. With a variety of backgrounds in different ministry roles, and current ministry involvement, the faculty are well prepared to apply the principles of ministry in a relevant and practical way.
- Hands on experience — Practical ministry experience is a part of the program at MVNU. What you learn in the classroom will be applied in the context of a local church or ministry. Beyond the required practical experience, many internships and service possibilities are available for additional practical experience.
- Graduate success — Christian Ministry majors from MVNU are readily able to find placement in ministry positions and are serving in those roles successfully.
- Dr. Matthew Price, Professor of Christian Education
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
- Coming in 2019 — Israel and Jordan
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors. Additionally, the Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program exists for those Nazarene students intending to serve in the Church of the Nazarene.
The Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Youth and Family Ministry will provide excellent preparation for those intending to serve in local church ministry as youth pastors, children’s pastors, or family ministry pastors. The program also provides an excellent foundation for those intending to pursue further education in seminary or other graduate school.
MVNU Christian Ministry graduates are currently serving as lead pastors, associate pastors, youth pastors, children’s pastors, and church planters. Additionally, many have successfully completed graduate degrees in seminary or other graduate schools.