Visual Arts Education
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Education Department has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
The Visual Arts Education program is a multi-age licensure program encompassing grades Prekindergarten through 12 and is housed in the Art Department. Students in this program will have two advisors: one for their major (Visual Art) and one for the Education program. They would graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Visual Arts Education degree.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Unique opportunities — You will have the opportunity to work in rural, suburban, and urban schools. This will allow you to get an in-depth look at what education looks like in a variety of school types and help you be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Associate Professor of Education; Education Programs Coordinator; Director of University Assessment
- Dr. Nicci Lambright, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Associate Professor of Education
- Dr. Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Scott Tarrh, Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
- Professor Michele Vanasse, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
The Buchwald Center, MVNU’s 32,000 square foot art and design building, is located in friendly downtown Mt. Vernon, just a few miles from main campus. The Buchwald boasts warm, sunny spaces that feed creativity and bear the scars of the artistic process. Each artist and designer that passes through its doors finds places to call his/her own.
Whether you’re creating a digital piece on one of the 30 dual-boot iMacs in the Mac lab, setting up an installation for a show in the exquisite Schnormeier Gallery, or throwing a unique piece of pottery on one of the wheels in the ceramics room, you will be working on your craft in a space that inspires.
MVNU has a strong reputation for producing compassionate, competent, and committed educators who are also real-world ready. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation. Administrators seek out our graduates for openings in their schools and districts.
- Mount Vernon City Schools
- Westerville City Schools
- Columbus City Schools
- Fredericktown Local Schools
- Cheatham Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Jack Dailey Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Horizon Science Academy
- Whitehall Preparatory and Fitness Academy
- Crossroads Christian Academy
- International Community School, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tamara City, Japan