'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” — Matthew 25:40, NIV
Do you have a spark for compassionate urban living and serving?
MVNU’s Urban Ministry major focuses on helping students develop leadership and communication skills while learning practical, hands-on applications of their urban ministry expertise. All students in this major will be equipped for careers in the mission field, local churches, and a wide range of positions seeking cross-cultural abilities with an urban focus.
- Immersive learning — As an MVNU Urban Ministry major, you will have many opportunities to enhance your learning experience with hands-on ministry in Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Jose, Costa Rica, Belize, Swaziland, and more!
- First-hand knowledge — Professional practitioners come into the classroom and offer unique perspectives on making the gospel relevant to an increasingly diverse population, from those in poverty to those without religious affiliation.
- Active faculty — Dr. Price regularly consults with active Urban Ministry programs in numerous locations, training local staff and volunteers.
Dr. Matthew Price, Associate Professor of Christian Education, Intercultural Studies Program Coordinator
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy, Philosophy Program Coordinator
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology, Religion Program Coordinator
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics, Coordinator of Church Ministries and CMP Programs, School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature, Coordinator of Christian Education and Master of Ministry Programs
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
In addition to these trips, Urban Ministry students are required to do a senior practicum in an urban setting and some students chose to do a whole semester in an urban context.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
There are over 30 endowed scholarships for students in the School of Theology and Philosophy with a call to ministry. In addition, there are other university scholarships available and a Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program in which Nazarene ministry students can participate during their four years.
With this degree, you’ll have a wealth of career options — from work with a parachurch organization like the YMCA or community programs with the Salvation Army to a career running a homeless shelter or rehabilitation facility. MVNU’s Urban Ministry program will properly prepare you to balance the theological and practical aspects of inner city ministry, no matter which route you choose to take your career.
Urban Ministry graduates are working in inner city sports ministries, women’s shelters, local urban churches/church plants and urban compassionate ministry centers across the nation and internationally.
Urban Ministry grads have worked at:
- Missionary Athletes International
- Teen Challenge KY
- Philadelphia First Nazarene
- Front Step, Inc.
- Shepherd Community Center
- Rock City Church
- Arkansas Dream Center