Do you feel your heart drawn to the city? Is your call one to pastoral ministry, but you really want to live that out within the unique challenges of an urban ministry?
MVNU’s Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Urban Ministry will give you the foundation needed to provide pastoral care and leadership within an urban context. Students in this program will receive the biblical, theological, and pastoral education provided by the Christian Ministry major, but will also gain the tools to apply it to the specific needs of the city. Students in this major will be prepared to serve as pastors and leaders who not only have a heart for the city, but also understand what ministry in the city needs to be.
- Qualified Faculty — MVNU faculty are not only qualified academically, but also bring ministry experience to the classroom. With a variety of backgrounds in different ministry roles, and current ministry involvement, the faculty are well prepared to apply the principles of ministry in a relevant and practical way.
- Hands on experience — Practical ministry experience is a part of the program at MVNU. What you learn in the classroom will be applied in the context of a local church or ministry. Beyond the required practical experience, many internships and service possibilities are available for additional practical experience.
- Graduate success — Christian Ministry majors from MVNU are readily able to find placement in ministry positions and are serving in those roles successfully.
- Rev. Jennifer Ballenger, Assistant Professor of Youth and Family Ministries
- Dr. Brenita Nicholas-Edwards, Professor of Intercultural Studies
- Prof. Timothy Radcliffe**, Director of the Library, Assistant Professor of Theology
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Henry Spaulding, III**, Assistant Professor of Theology, Associate Campus Pastor
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practices and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Christian Ministry offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walk in the footsteps of Paul and visit the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016, 2019 — Israel and Jordan, where students walk in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They see for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experience the culture and history that has shaped our traidtion.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
- Coming in 2020 — Turkey and Greece
For other service learning and academic travel possibilities, visit mvnu.edu/travel.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors. Additionally, the Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program exists for those Nazarene students intending to serve in the Church of the Nazarene.
The Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Urban Ministry will provide excellent preparation for those intending to serve as pastors, pastoral staff, or church planters in an urban setting. The program also provides an excellent foundation for those intending to pursue further education in seminary or other graduate school.
MVNU Christian Ministry graduates are currently serving successfully as pastors and pastoral staff in urban ministry settings. Additionally, many have successfully completed graduate degrees in seminary or other graduate schools.