Are you passionate about being a support system for people in need?
Comforting an abused child, assisting a homeless family, helping an elderly patient plan his post-hospital care, listening to the concerns of a teen mother, writing a grant to expand services for a community center — these are some of the rich and varied services a social worker can perform in his/her profession.
Social Work majors at MVNU are taught by faculty who are actively engaged in volunteer work and research in their major fields. Students are exposed to fieldwork early, gaining experience from three field placements throughout their college career in both urban and rural settings. Coursework includes important exposure to diverse population groups such as a growing Latinx community, urban youth, and families. MVNU also offers opportunities for international field practicum experience. A bachelor’s degree in Social Work is the first step to becoming a Licensed Social Worker (LSW).
- Practical experience — As an MVNU Social Work major you will have the opportunity to work with individuals from various population groups while serving in diverse agency settings. MVNU Social Work students experience the unique integration of fieldwork in rural and urban settings. MVNU Social Work students also have the opportunity for international fieldwork experiences by spending a semester abroad in countries such as Romania and Uganda. MVNU requires almost 20% more hours of field experience than the average university. It is rare for other universities to have freshman field experience, but we do because we know it is vital in determining if social work is the right career path for you.
- Active faculty — MVNU Social Work professors are licensed social workers and remain actively engaged in volunteer work and research in their major fields. You will learn from people who have been where you are going.
- Personalization — You will have the opportunity to participate in a one-on-one independent study with faculty, so that you can delve into the issues and areas of interest that you are most passionate about.
Many Social Work graduates go on to continue their education at prestigious institutions. Most of these students are able to complete an accelerated program where they obtain their Master’s Degree in Social Work in 1 year. Most MVNU Social Work students are able to pass the Licensed Social Work exam on their first attempt.MVNU Social Work students have obtained careers in the following settings: Nursing Homes, Foster Care Agencies, Children Services, Community Mental Health, Hospice, and more. For more information on careers in social work including potential salary visit http://careers.socialworkers.org/explore/choose.asp
MVNU Social Work graduates have attended:
- University of Michigan
- The Ohio State University
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Akron
- Roberts Wesleyan College
- Case Western Reserve University
“The Social Work program has not only trained me to be professional and effective in my career, it has given me a deeper appreciation and respect for all the individuals I come in contact with in both professional and personal settings”Julia Coursen, ’18