Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation -- MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Secondary education programs are linked to majors. Students on a secondary education track within their major will have two advisors: one for their major and one for their secondary program. They would graduate with a specific Integrated studies degree.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education, Education Programs Coordinator and Department Chair
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Garland McCutcheon, Jr.*, Assistant Professor of Education and GPS Education Field and Clinical Coordinator
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education and Director of Teacher Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker, Professor of Education
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education and CAEP Assessment Coordinator
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
You can choose from Integrated Mathematics, Integrated Social Studies, or Integrated Language Arts as a secondary licensure area.
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
Middle/junior high or high school teacher in math, social studies, and language arts.
MVNU Secondary Education grads work at schools across the United States and the world, including:
- Jessie Young – Mount Vernon High School
- Misty Cushing – Desert Pines Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Mount Vernon High School, Mount Vernon, OH
- Galion High School, Galion, OH
- Clear Fork High School, Bellville, OH
- Whitney Weaver – Sheridan High School
- Tori Dillon – Esperanza Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Las Vegas, NV
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tamara City, Japan