Do you want to better understand not only your own faith, but also the faith of others around the world?
Religion majors gain a deeper knowledge of the Christian faith, which equips them for a wide range of church-related positions and for broader Christian service throughout the world. Courses in Biblical studies, theology, and church history root students in the heart of the Christian faith. That grounding is valuable for students who have a calling to pastoral ministry and plan to continue onward to seminary, as well as students pursuing careers in fields like education, counseling, social work, medicine, art, and business.
- Active faculty — MVNU professors of religion continually conduct research, present at conferences, and publish literature within their disciplines. You will be learning from people who are still actively involved in their fields of expertise.
- Double major program — The religion program offers a compact degree designed for students studying in any other discipline to gain deeper knowledge of the Christian faith as a second major. A double major gives you an extra edge in your career, as you will have multiple degrees under your belt by graduation.
- Graduate success — Religion majors report that they are well-prepared in graduate programs compared to their peers from other universities.
- Prof. Jennifer Ballenger, Assistant Professor of Youth and Family
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016, 2019 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where we walked in the footsteps of the Reformers and saw the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
There are over 30 endowed scholarships for students in the School of Christian Ministry with a call to ministry. In addition, there are other university scholarships available and a Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program in which Nazarene ministry students can participate during their four years.
A degree in religion from MVNU provides an excellent foundation in the Christian faith for those pursuing a host of careers. Students desiring to enter business, social work, law, communications, and more can add religion to their preparation! It is also great preparation for graduate school.
MVNU Religion grads have gone on to study at:
- Asbury Theological Seminary
- Ashland Theological Seminary
- Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary
- Jerusalem University College
- John Carroll University
- Nazarene Theological Seminary
- Wheaton College
- Princeton University
“I used to learn because I had to, but God has given me the desire to learn and to love doing it.”Katie Scott, '15