The Pre-Medical Program at MVNU is designed to enable students to prepare a file that is competitive for entry into medical school. While in the program, students are guided through academic, spiritual character, and life-skill development.
Students are informed of expectations within the program, as well as the expectations of the admissions officers within the medical schools. A semester-by-semester approach provides students with feedback for self-assessment regarding the extent of preparation as they progress. Seminars, documentation, and one-on-one meetings provide information about the preparation necessary, the application progress, and the 15 competencies: Pre-Professional Competencies (Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement), Thinking and Reasoning Competencies (Critical Thinking, Quantitative Reasoning, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication), and Science Competencies (Living Systems, Human Behavior).
- Professional faculty — MVNU professors are knowledgeable and experienced, and engage with students. Participation in meetings of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP), the Central Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (CAAHP), and the Ohio Health Professions Advisors (OHPA), and leadership roles within these organizations enable faculty to be experts in the process of preparation for application and entrance into the medical field.
- Advanced studies prep — An online resource is available to current students and alumni who are desiring to apply to medical school. This tool is housed within the campus learning management system (Moodle). As a result, students and alumni with Internet access have unrestricted access to the content.
- Advising relationships —Students begin interacting with the faculty during the inquiry about the program, and develop mentorship relationships with them that often continue well past graduation.
- Dr. Carrie Beal, Professor of Biology, Biology and Physical Sciences Department Chair
- Dr. Jon Bossley, Assistant Professor of Biology
- Dr. Geoffrey Fuller, Professor of Biology
- Mr. Chris Ingersol, Associate Professor of Biology
- Dr. Paul Madtes, Jr., Professor of Biology, MVNU Pre-Medical Committee Chair
This program is designed to provide the preparation that is needed to apply to medical schools. Students take courses that are required for entrance, as well as recommended courses. This academic preparation provides part of the necessary components. In addition, students are given instruction and guidance to complete an application profile that is competitive, including extra-curricular activities, volunteerism, clinical exposure, and undergraduate research. Finally, seminars are available for training in professionalism, the application process, interview preparation, and development of essential competencies.
MVNU alumni have been accepted into medical education programs at the following institutions:
- Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
- Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
- The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
- Indiana University Purdue University College of Medicine
- Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh College of Medicine
- University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- West Virginia University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Alumni have served as medical missionaries nationally and internationally across the United States, eSwatini, France, North Africa, and Papua New Guinea.