The Pre-Dentistry Program at MVNU is designed to enable students to prepare a file that is competitive for entry into dental school. While in the program, students are guided through academic, spiritual character, and life-skill development. Students are informed of expectations within the program, as well as the expectations of the admissions officers within the dental schools.
A semester-by-semester approach provides students with feedback for self-assessment regarding the extent of preparation as they progress. Seminars, documentation, and one-on-one meetings provide information about the preparation necessary, the application progress, and professional competencies and expectations.
- Advanced studies prep — An online resource is available to current students and alumni who are desiring to apply to medical school. This tool is housed within the campus learning management system (Moodle). As a result, students and alumni with Internet access have unrestricted access to the content.
- Professional faculty — MVNU professors are knowledgeable and experienced, and engage with students. Participation in meetings of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP), the Central Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (CAAHP), and the Ohio Health Professions Advisors (OHPA), and leadership roles within these organizations enable faculty to be experts in the process of preparation for application and entrance into the medical field.
- Advising relationships — Students begin interacting with the faculty during the inquiry about the program, and develop mentorship relationships with them that often continue well past graduation.
- Dr. Carrie Beal, Professor of Biology, Biology and Physical Sciences Department Chair
- Dr. Jon Bossley, Associate Professor of Biology
- Dr. Geoffrey Fuller, Professor of Biology
- Professor Chris Ingersol, Associate Professor of Biology
- Dr. Paul Madtes, Jr., Professor of Biology, MVNU Pre-Medical Committee Chair
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Pre-Dentistry program.
This program is designed to provide the preparation that is needed to apply to dental schools. Students take courses that are required for entrance, as well as recommended courses. This academic preparation provides part of the necessary components. In addition, students are given instruction and guidance to complete an application profile that is competitive, including extra-curricular activities, volunteerism, clinical exposure, and undergraduate research. Finally, seminars are available for training in professionalism, the application process, interview preparation, and development of essential competencies.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
- The Ohio State University College of Dentistry
- University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
- West Virginia University School of Dentistry