Health & Physical Education
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will help you develop effective teaching practices, provide real classroom experience, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and bulk up your résumé.
The Health & Physical Education program is a multi-age licensure program encompassing grades Prekindergarten through 12. Students would graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education/Health Education degree and two Ohio teaching licenses – Health & Physical Education. MVNU’s program is one of the few in the state that offers dual licensure in these two programs.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Unique opportunities — You will have the opportunity to work in rural, suburban, and urban schools. This will allow you to get an in-depth look at what education looks like in a variety of school types and help you be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Associate Professor of Education; Education Programs Coordinator; Director of University Assessment
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Dr. Nicci Lambright, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Associate Professor of Education
- Dr. Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Scott Tarrh, Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
- Professor Michele Vanasse, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
MVNU has a strong reputation for producing compassionate, competent, and committed educators who are also real-world ready. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation. Administrators seek out our graduates for openings in their schools and districts.
- Mount Vernon City Schools
- Westerville City Schools
- Columbus City Schools
- Fredericktown Local Schools
- Cheatham Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Jack Dailey Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Horizon Science Academy
- Whitehall Preparatory and Fitness Academy
- Crossroads Christian Academy
- International Community School, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tamara City, Japan