Do you love and enjoy music? Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Education Department has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
The Music Education program is a multi-age licensure program encompassing grades Prekindergarten through 12 and is housed in the Music Department. Students in this program will have two advisors: one for their major (Music) and one for the Education program. They would graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education degree.
- NASM accreditation – The MVNU Music Department degree programs are fully accredited and meet the rigorous standards of the National Association of Schools of Music.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Unique opportunities — You will have the opportunity to work in rural, suburban, and urban schools. This will allow you to get an in-depth look at what education looks like in a variety of school types and help you be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Professor Elizabeth Barrett, Assistant Professor of Music
- Dr. JoAnn Koh-Baker, Professor of Music
- Dr. John Packard, Professor of Music and Department Chair
- Dr. Robert Tocheff, Professor of Music
The faculty of the Music Department are talented musicians and excellent instructors. All are respected in their discipline on campus and in other professional settings. They reflect a wide range of abilities as accomplished vocalists, pianists, instrumentalists, conductors, and clinicians.
Adjunct Faculty and Staff
- Rebecca Abbott – Organ, Music and Worship, Staff Accompanist
- Sabina Anderson – Treble Singers
- Dr. Susan Armstrong – Voice
- Dr. Cary Dachtyl – Percussion
- Charla Dryburgh – Staff Accompanist
- Larry Lain – Music in the Western World
- Dr. Adrienne Lape – Clarinet/Sax, Woodwind Methods
- Dr. Juan Carlos Ortega – Strings/String Ensemble
- Jenny Packard – Flute/Flute Choir, Woodwind Meth.
- Dr. Jim Puckett – Composition
- Jeremy Smith – Low Brass
- Stephanie Sikora – Voice
- Carrie Vail – Voice
- Dr. Isaac Winland – Jazz Band
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Music Education program!
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in the many service and academic trips we offer.
The TEACH grant is available for students who plan to teach in high-need areas after graduation. MVNU also has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
MVNU has a strong reputation for producing compassionate, competent, and committed educators who are also real-world ready. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation. Administrators seek out our graduates for openings in their schools and districts.
- Westerville City Schools
- Columbus City Schools
- Fredericktown Local Schools
- Cheatham Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Jack Dailey Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Horizon Science Academy
- Whitehall Preparatory and Fitness Academy
- Crossroads Christian Academy
- International Community School, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tamara City, Japan