Do you love and enjoy music? Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Education Department has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
The Music Education program is a multi-age licensure program encompassing grades Prekindergarten through 12 and is housed in the Music Department. Students in this program will have two advisors: one for their major (Music) and one for the Education program. They would graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education degree.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education, Education Programs Coordinator and Department Chair
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Professor Garland McCutcheon, Jr.*, Assistant Professor of Education and GPS Education Field and Clinical Coordinator
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education and Director of Teacher Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Professor Elizabeth Napier, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Pam Owen, Professor of Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker, Professor of Education
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education and CAEP Assessment Coordinator
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
Graduates of this program are well prepared to teach in public school music programs.
MVNU Music Education grads work at schools across the United States, including:
- Nick Dewalt - Cardington Elementary, Music Teacher
- Cody Thomas - Kenya, Music Teacher