Middle Childhood Education
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
A degree in Middle Childhood Education (MCE) from MVNU will prepare you to be an excellent middle level educator teaching grades 4 through 9 in your two chosen academic content concentrations.
- Strong reputation — MVNU's School of Education and Professional Studies has long been known as a quality program because of the extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education; Education Programs Coordinator; Director of University Assessment
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Garland McCutcheon, Jr.*, Assistant Professor of Education and GPS Education Field and Clinical Coordinator
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education and Director of Teacher Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Associate Professor of Education
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education and CAEP Assessment Coordinator
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
MVNU has a strong reputation for putting out qualified, savvy, and caring Education graduates. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation.
A Middle Childhood Education degree from MVNU will prepare you to teach grades 4–9 in your two content areas. An endorsement is also available that will enable you to teach grades 4–6 in a self-contained classroom.
MVNU Secondary Education grads work at schools across the United States and the world, including:
- Jessie Young – Mount Vernon High School •
- Misty Cushing – Desert Pines Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Mount Vernon High School, Mount Vernon, OH •
- Galion High School, Galion, OH •
- Clear Fork High School, Bellville, OH
- Whitney Weaver – Sheridan High School
- Tori Dillon – Esperanza Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Las Vegas, NV
- Phoenix, AZ
- Tamara City, Japan
MVNU MCE grads work at schools across Ohio and beyond, including:
- Liberty Middle School, Newark, OH
- Orion Academy, Cincinnati, OH
- Bellefontaine Intermediate, Bellefontaine, OH
- Mount Vernon Middle School, Mount Vernon, OH
- Triad Middle School, North Lewisburg, OH
- Franklin Woods Intermediate, Grove City, OH
- Clay County Middle School, Clay, WV