Middle Childhood Education
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will help you develop effective teaching practices, provide real classroom experience, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and bulk up your résumé.
A degree in Middle Childhood Education (MCE) from MVNU will prepare you to be an excellent middle level educator teaching grades 4 through 9 in your two chosen academic content concentrations.
- Strong reputation — MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known as a quality program because of the extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year.
- Unique opportunities — You will have the opportunity to work in rural, suburban, and urban schools. This will allow you to get an in-depth look at what education looks like in a variety of school types and help you be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Associate Professor of Education; Education Programs Coordinator; Director of University Assessment
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Dr. Shantelle K. Jenkins, Associate Professor of Education; Assistant Vice President for the School of Graduate and Professional Studies
- Professor Garland McCutcheon, Jr.*, Assistant Professor of Education and GPS Education Field and Clinical Coordinator
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Associate Professor of Education
- Dr. Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Scott Tarrh, Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education and CAEP Assessment Coordinator
- Professor Michele Vanasse, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Middle Childhood Education program!
Your main workspaces in this program will be the classrooms you get to teach and assist in, in your licensure area, as early as your first or second semester.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in the many service and academic trips we offer.
The TEACH grant is available for students who plan to teach in high-need areas after graduation.
MVNU also has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
- Liberty Middle School, Newark, OH
- Orion Academy, Cincinnati, OH
- Bellefontaine Intermediate, Bellefontaine, OH
- Mount Vernon Middle School, Mount Vernon, OH
- Triad Middle School, North Lewisburg, OH
- Franklin Woods Intermediate, Grove City, OH
- Clay County Middle School, Clay, WV