Are you drawn to ministry, but also feel the pull to serve in another culture?
MVNU’s Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Intercultural Studies will give you the foundation needed to serve in a variety of cross-cultural ministry roles. Students in this program will receive the biblical, theological, and pastoral education provided by the Christian Ministry major, but will also gain the tools to apply it within a cross-cultural setting. Students in this major will be equipped to minister within other cultures, whether it be as a missionary with a church or parachurch organization, or as a pastor in a multi-cultural context.
- Qualified Faculty — MVNU faculty are not only qualified academically, but also bring ministry experience to the classroom. With a variety of backgrounds in different ministry roles, and current ministry involvement, the faculty are well prepared to apply the principles of ministry in a relevant and practical way.
- Hands on experience — Practical ministry experience is a part of the program at MVNU. What you learn in the classroom will be applied in the context of a local church or ministry. Beyond the required practical experience, many internships and service possibilities are available for additional practical experience.
- Graduate success — Christian Ministry majors from MVNU are readily able to find placement in ministry positions and are serving in those roles successfully.
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Christian Ministry offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walk in the footsteps of Paul and visit the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016, 2019 — Israel and Jordan, where students walk in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They see for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experience the culture and history that has shaped our traidtion.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
- Coming in 2020 — Turkey and Greece
For other service learning and academic travel possibilities, visit mvnu.edu/travel.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors. Additionally, the Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program exists for those Nazarene students intending to serve in the Church of the Nazarene.
The Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Intercultural Studies will provide excellent preparation for those intending to serve as missionaries with a church or parachurch organization, or as a pastoral leader in a multi-cultural context. The program also provides an excellent foundation for those intending to pursue further education in seminary or other graduate school.
MVNU Christian Ministry graduates are currently serving as missionaries, pastors, and church planters in cross-cultural settings. Additionally, many have successfully completed graduate degrees in seminary or other graduate schools.