The study of history is about more than just the past. It is about learning what has already been done — the goals accomplished, the wars fought, the discoveries made — in order to understand the present more fully.
MVNU’s history program helps students reckon with the complex present through intensive study of the past, while equipping them for a bright future through the development of transferable skills. History majors will be qualified for successful careers in law, politics, education, museum studies, or other fields requiring a well-stocked mind, a ready pen, and real-world experience.
- High achievement — MVNU history majors embrace challenges. Every year history majors land valuable internships or graduate in the top one percent of his or her class.
- Immersive learning — History majors may opt to spend a semester in Washington, D.C. or Oxford, England through the CCCU GlobalEd semester abroad. Students gain historical knowledge of a particular place while experiencing its present culture.
- Broad relevance — A strong emphasis is placed on developing students’ writing, communication, reading, and analytical abilities, all transferable skills that prepare graduates to excel in a variety of careers.
Apply to study literature and culture for a summer or a semester abroad in the city of dreaming spires with the CCCU’s GlobalEd program. Contact your advisor and see the CCCU website for more information: https://www.cccuglobaled.org/scio/
Live, study, and work in the nation’s capital for a semester with the CCCU’s GlobalEd program in Washington, D.C. Contact your advisor and see the CCCU website for more information: https://www.cccuglobaled.org/asp/
Departmental field trips to various sites of historical interest occur semi-annually. History majors are also welcome to participate in one of MVNU’s many other service and learning trips.
- Majoring in history hones your writing, research, and thinking skills and offers broad preparation for a variety of jobs. To prepare for a career in law while majoring in history, choose the Pre-Law Pathway.
- A degree in history from MVNU serves as a great starting point for a number of careers. History majors become lawyers, archivists, museum curators, high school teachers, park rangers, intelligence analysts for the FBI, writers, and government employees.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Ohio Attorney General’s office
- O’Reilly Law Offices
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Hogan Lovells: Global Lawyers – International Law Firm
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
“This place has been a home, my colleagues and professors have been a family- and for this I am a better person.”Amorelle Jacox, ’16