The study of History is about more than just the past. It is about digging through what has already been done — the goals already accomplished, the wars already fought, the discoveries already made — in order to unearth solutions to the issues of the present, and bring to light insights about the future.
MVNU’s History program offers you the opportunity to understand your place in the present through intensive study of the past, while simultaneously preparing you for a bright future. You will be qualified for a successful career in law, politics, education, or a variety of other fields.
- High achievement — MVNU History majors are known for embracing challenges. At least one of them graduates in the top one percent of his or her class every single year.
- Immersive learning — You’ll have the chance to participate in one or more of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities’ (CCCU) semester travel experiences to Washington, D.C.; Oxford, England; China; and the Middle East. This gives you the rare opportunity to combine knowledge of a location’s history with real experience in its present culture.
- Broad relevance — A strong emphasis is placed on writing, communication, reading, and critical analysis skills, which will allow you to develop concrete, marketable skills that prepare you to excel in a number of careers.
The department of History encourages its majors to take advantage of the travel opportunities available, especially through the CCCU. Semester-long travel experiences include Washington, D.C.; Oxford, England; Egypt; and China.
History majors are also welcome to participate in one of MVNU’s many other service and learning trips.
A degree in History from MVNU serves as a great starting point for a number of careers, including work with the FBI, CIA, park services, and more. You can also go on to graduate or law school.
MVNU History graduates have worked at:
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Ohio Attorney General’s office
- O’Reilly Law Offices
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Hogan Lovells: Global Lawyers – International Law Firm
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
“This place has been a home, my colleagues and professors have been a family- and for this I am a better person.”Amorelle Jacox, ’16