Graphic Design major
Visual imagery and communication pervade the modern world. MVNU Graphic Design students are equipped to communicate clearly and to enrich the daily lives of consumers with effective designs, influencing culture and society in important, positive, and constructive ways.
MVNU’s Graphic Design program has two tracks students can choose from — the visual arts track or the communication track. Students go through a rigorous program focusing on an in-depth understanding of the creative process. A high level of craftsmanship is emphasized. Senior Graphic Design students present their portfolios in a Senior Design Portfolio show at MVNU’s professional Schnormeier Gallery, showcasing a wide variety of well-crafted and effective projects to the public.
Students in this program consider double majoring in Graphic Design and another major, especially in Art.
- Broad scope — You’ll have many opportunities to explore a wide range of applications within the discipline of graphic design. This gives you an edge after graduation, because you will become proficient at designing everything from webpages and marketing materials to clothing and packaging, and more. Employers are always looking for well-rounded designers.
- Learning abroad — Our Graphic Design majors have the opportunity to study abroad in Italy; you’ll get to visit five Italian cities and increase your exposure to art and design on an international level. Not only will you experience historical art, but you will also be exposed daily to the latest design trends in Italy.
- Up-to-date technology — You will become acquainted with our annually-updated hardware and software, which corresponds to what you will likely be working with in the Graphic Design industry after graduation. The knowledge you’ll gain about these programs and technologies will be relevant and immediately applicable in your career.
- Professor Margaret Allotey-Pappoe, Professor of Graphic Design and Department Chair
- Professor John Donnelly, Professor of Art
- Professor Justin Sorensen, Associate Professor of Art
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Graphic Design program!
The Buchwald Center, MVNU’s 32,000 square foot art and design building, is located in friendly downtown Mt. Vernon, just a few miles from main campus. The Buchwald boasts warm, sunny spaces that feed creativity and bear the scars of the artistic process, as each artist and designer that passes through its doors finds places to call his/her own.
We know it is important for our Graphic Design majors to have their own space and plenty of work time, which is why they have access to 22 iMacs, iPads, Adobe Creative Cloud software, and an Epson printer all in the Buchwald’s Mac lab which is open and available any time that there is not a class using the room from 7 a.m. to midnight. At MVNU, you will work in a space that inspires and has all the resources you need to be successful.
Click here to for more details about Schnormeier Gallery!
Imagine walking the streets of Rome where St. Paul walked, floating down a Venetian canal, seeing the art of the Sistine Chapel, exploring the ancient site of Pompeii, experiencing Sorrento with its romantic cliff-side setting and discovering the modern and ancient sites of Italy from the Coliseum to Cathedrals to museums. Oh, plus there's great food and amazing coffee.
As an MVNU Grahpic Design major, there’s no need to imagine — you can take in the wonders of Italy for yourself during spring break, and even get course credit for it!
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other travel opportunities.
All Graphic Design students are eligible for the competitive Esther Buchwald Art Scholarships and Awards. Five scholarships are awarded to five individual Graphic Design students annually. Students from any class may submit work, including incoming students. One student from each class will be awarded the scholarship.
MVNU also has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
Odds are, you’ll be working in your field within a year of graduation. About half of MVNU’s Graphic Design students are offered jobs before graduation. In fact, we often have graduates tell us that their employers were surprised and impressed with the quality of their portfolios — many have secured jobs because their portfolios reflected excellence.
We have graduates designing everything from websites to T-shirts, from magazines to coffee mugs, from textbooks to advertisements — whatever your design niche, you’ll be in high demand with a Graphic Design degree from MVNU.
- McGraw Hill
- Kanuga Conferences
- PV Communication
- i2 Marketing
- Envisage Information Systems
- U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance
- Pohanka Automotive Group
- Abercrombie & Fitch
- Imaginarium Goods Co.
- Weber Associates