Elementary Intervention P-5
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations and making sure all children are given equal learning opportunities?
MVNU's Jetter School of Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
MVNU’s inclusive elementary preparation program prepares candidates to work with all learners in grades PreK-5 and results in two Ohio teaching licenses: general education PreK-5 and Intervention Specialist PreK-5. This gives our graduates an extra edge in the eyes of employers and expands their future career options.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country. *This program is currently being reviewed by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
- Unique opportunities — Our on-campus lab school, Esther Jetter Preschool, gives our students the rare opportunity to gain hands-on experience with children in the crucial early years of learning and development. This means you’ll have the added edge of professional experience that employers are looking for.
- Immediate practical experience — You will start participating in classroom field experiences your freshman year and will continue fieldwork through graduation. You will graduate with field experience exceeding the number of field hours required for licensure by the State of Ohio. This is the kind of experiential learning that allows you to move into your career with ease and confidence in your abilities.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education, Department Chair and GPS Education Program Coordinator
- Professor Brian Humphrey, Assistant Professor of Physical Education and Athletic Trainer
- Professor Amy Dubusky, Assistant Professor of Education
- Professor Garland McCutcheon, Jr.*, Assistant Professor of Education and GPS Education Field and Clinical Coordinator
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Dr. Elizabeth Napier, Assistant Professor of Education and Director of Teacher Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker, Professor of Education
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education and CAEP Assessment Coordinator
- Dr. Krishana White, Assistant Professor of Education and Assistant CAEP Coordinator
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Elementary Education/Elementary Intervention P-5 program.
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, or Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in the many service and learning trips we offer.
MVNU has a strong reputation for producing compassionate, competent, and committed educators who are also real-world ready. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation. Administrators seek out our graduates for openings in their schools and districts.
An Elementary Education/Elementary Intervention P-5 degree from MVNU will properly prepare you to teach grades PK-5 in both general and special education.
MVNU grads have worked at schools across Ohio, the U.S., and the world, including:
- Westerville City Schools
- Columbus City Schools
- Fredericktown Local Schools
- Cheatham Elementary, Phoenix, AZ
- Jack Dailey Elementary, Las Vegas, NV
- Horizon Science Academy
- Whitehall Preparatory and Fitness Academy
- Crossroads Christian Academy
- International Community School, Bangkok, Thailand
- Tamara City, Japan