Early Childhood Education
Are you passionate for sharing knowledge with future generations?
MVNU's School of Education and Professional Studies has long been known for the quality of its education programs because of the unique opportunities for extensive hands-on field experience offered to students starting freshman year. This kind of experience will bulk up your résumé, allow you to make connections with local schools and educators, and help you feel comfortable and confident in the classroom as quickly as possible.
- NCATE/CAEP accreditation — MVNU’s education programs hold the highest standard of recognition awarded to education programs across the country.
- Unique opportunities — Our on-campus lab school, Esther Jetter Preschool, gives our students the rare opportunity to gain hands-on experience with children in the crucial early years of learning and development. This means you’ll have the added edge of professional experience that employers are looking for.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to complete part of your student teaching internationally in Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. You’ll get an in-depth look at what education looks like globally and be better prepared to be an excellent educator wherever you choose to begin your career.
- Quality faculty — All professors in this program have professional experience in teaching and/or administration in public or private schools. This means you’ll be learning from people who have been where you’re going.
- Dr. Dean Goon, Associate Professor of Education and Director of Innovative Education
- Professor Jessica Grubaugh, Assistant Professor of Education, Director of Graduate Education and continuing Education
- Dr. Sharon Metcalfe, Professor of Education, Associate Dean for Education Programs
- Dr. Stephen Metcalfe, Professor of Education
- Professor Elizabeth Napier, Assistant Professor of Education, NCATE Coordinator
- Dr. Pam Owen, Professor of Education
- Dr. Bevin Shiverdecker, Professor of Education/Director of Undergraduate Field and Clinical Experiences
- Professor Lynn Shoemaker, Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Michael Traugh, Professor of Education, Acting Dean
- Professor Krishana White, Instructor of Education
There are opportunities to complete part of your student teaching semester internationally in Costa Rica, China, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia as well as nationally in cities like New York City, Boston, and Los Angeles.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in the many service and learning trips we offer.
MVNU has a strong reputation for producing compassionate, competent, and committed educators. Employers know that we exceed the number of field hours required for licensure by the state of Ohio — because of that reputation, our grads are always in high demand. The vast majority of them secure jobs not long after, and sometimes even prior to, graduation.
An Early Childhood Education degree from MVNU will properly prepare you to teach grades PK-3. An endorsement is also available that will allow anyone with an ECE license to also teach grades 4 and 5.
MVNU ECE grads have worked at schools across Ohio, including:
- Dan Emmett Elementary
- Central College Christian Academy
- Whitehall Preparatory and Fitness Academy
- Crossroads Christian Academy
As well as schools nationwide, such as:
- Madison Elementary
- Buckner Elementary
- Esperanza Elementary
- Pella, IA
- Buckner, KY
- Phoenix, AZ