Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) Major
Are you interested in helping children and adults understand and overcome communication obstacles?
A pre-professional degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (Communication Sciences and Disorders) prepares students to pursue graduate degrees in speech/language pathology or audiology. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, speech/language pathology is expected to grow at a rate of 29% between 2020-2030, which is much faster than average. Audiology is expected to grow by 16%, which is also much faster than average. There is a critical shortage of audiologists in the state of Ohio and the surrounding regions. Both of these occupations allow you to work directly with clients of any age group, from newborns to the elderly.
Our Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) students have been accepted to the following universities:
- Boston University
- New York Medical College
- Penn State University
- The Ohio State University
- Purdue University
- Indiana University
- Bowling Green State University
- Northwestern University
- Ball State University
- Baldwin Wallace University
- Calvin University
- Cleveland State
- University of Akron
- Thiel College
- Miami University
- The University of Cincinnati
- Ohio University
- John Carroll University
- Kent State University
- University of Toledo
- Marshall University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Faith integration — The MVNU Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) program provides students with a unique perspective that combines Christian values with healthcare knowledge related to speech and hearing to offer a degree in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD). MVNU provides students with a unique perspective that combines Christian values with healthcare knowledge related to speech and hearing. We are invested in helping you develop the ethical framework that will shape your professional career.
- Practical experience — MVNU is one of few private colleges in Ohio with its own speech, language, and hearing clinic: Hunter Hall Clinic for Communication Sciences and Disorders. This means you'll get the kind of rare, hands-on experience that can give you a major advantage when applying to graduate school. As a third- and fourth-year student in our CSD program, you will have the opportunity to work with clients across the lifespan in the on-site Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) clinic, as well as in the community.
- Learning abroad — You will have the opportunity to participate in mission trips to numerous places around the world, like Swaziland and Belize. This means applying the skills you learn in the classroom to real-life scenarios with people who really rely on and value your expertise.
- Dr. Florence Hardjono, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, Assistant Professor and Program Director
- Professor Jodeen Erfurt, MA. CCC-SLP, Clinical Supervisor
- Professor Dawn Bell, MA., (ABD), CCC-SLP, Adjunct Instructor
- Dr. Pheba George, Ph.D, Instructor
Check out the catalog for a complete list of the requirements, courses, and objectives for the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology program!
Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) majors spend much of their clinical time at Hunter Hall, which is located in friendly downtown Mount Vernon, just a few miles from main campus. This building currently houses the MVNU Nursing department and is home to our community speech and hearing center.
The Hunter Hall Clinics for Communication Sciences and Disorders provides the opportunity for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) students to take part in supervised clinical practice as undergraduate students, in preparation for their clinical requirements in graduate school and beyond. The requirement of clinical experience at the undergraduate level is a distinct advantage of enrolling at MVNU; in many other programs, there is little opportunity for clinical work until the graduate level. This gives our students an edge in the graduate school admission process and provides them with early exposure to actual professional practice.
- MVNU's Communication Sciences and Disorders Exceeds National Trends for Graduate School Acceptance
- MVNU's CSD Video Named Best in Ohio
- MVNU nursing, CSD students commissioned, hands blessed
- MVNU opens new speech therapy clinic in Hunter Hall
- New mural hopes to inspire speech at Hunter Hall Clinic
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University's Chapter of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association
- Collaboration Creates Murals for Speech Therapy Patients
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
Because a master’s degree is required to become a speech-language pathologist, and a Doctoral degree is required to become an audiologist, MVNU’s pre-professional undergraduate Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CSD) program is aimed at thoroughly preparing students for admission to a graduate program. We are devoted to helping you gain the knowledge and experience you need to get into graduate school.