Are you a person who wants to serve as a bridge between the church and its community? Do you see yourself in a ministry role that is focused on neighborhood investment and changing a community?
MVNU’s Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Community Development will give you the foundation needed to serve in ministry positions of compassion, justice, and outreach. Students in this program will receive the biblical, theological, and pastoral education provided by the Christian Ministry major, but will also venture into the areas of public policy, social justice, and community transformation. The Community Development concentration will equip and prepare those who are looking to serve in a variety of ministry positions centered in community engagement.
- Qualified Faculty — MVNU faculty are not only qualified academically, but also bring ministry experience to the classroom. With a variety of backgrounds in different ministry roles, and current ministry involvement, the faculty are well prepared to apply the principles of ministry in a relevant and practical way.
- Hands on experience — Practical ministry experience is a part of the program at MVNU. What you learn in the classroom will be applied in the context of a local church or ministry. Beyond the required practical experience, many internships and service possibilities are available for additional practical experience.
- Graduate success — Christian Ministry majors from MVNU are readily able to find placement in ministry positions and are serving in those roles successfully.
- Dr. Matthew Price, Professor of Christian Education
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Theology and Philosophy offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walked in the footsteps of Paul and visited the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016 — Israel and Jordan, where students walked in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They saw for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experienced the culture and history of these important places.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
- Coming in 2019 — Israel and Jordan
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors. Additionally, the Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program exists for those Nazarene students intending to serve in the Church of the Nazarene.
The Christian Ministry major with a concentration in Community Development will provide excellent preparation for those intending to serve as pastors or pastoral staff in community-centered or compassionate ministries. The program also provides an excellent foundation for those intending to pursue further education in seminary or other graduate school.
MVNU Christian Ministry graduates are currently serving successfully as pastors, pastoral staff, church planters, and ministry leaders. Additionally, many have successfully completed graduate degrees in seminary or other graduate schools.