Communication is at the heart of the human experience. At MVNU, we believe that how we interact with one another — and the skill with which we communicate — is the framework for family, commerce, economics, politics, education, entertainment, and even technology.
Students develop practical skills needed for organizational leadership and careers in everything from media production to business marketing to event planning. Coursework includes foundational learning in communication theory, public speaking, small group processes, and mass media, along with specialized classes in areas such as radio production, stagecraft, video production, acting, and rhetorical history.
- Build your portfolio — All Communication majors take Professional Portfolio during their junior year. This class will provide you with career-planning tools and help you create a portfolio website tailored to your career interests to display your body of work for potential employers.
- Hands-on experience — The MVNU Communication department offers students unique opportunities to gain the kind of real, relevant experience that stands out on a résumé. Whether you become a DJ on MVNU’s professional radio station, WNZR, a writer for the student newspaper, the Lakeholm Viewer, or a videographer or sportscaster for the MVNU Cougars, you will gain the experience you need to have an edge in your career.
- Great graduates — The majority of recent MVNU Communication grads are employed full time in a direct Communication field. Soon, you could be one of them.
Communication Studies majors who are involved with WNZR have the opportunity to travel to, and participate in, the annual National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) International Christian Media Convention.
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many travel opportunities.
A degree in Communication Studies opens the door to a wealth of career opportunities. Excellent communication skills are a staple of every career imaginable — you could do just about anything! MVNU grads have gone on to be everything from renowned songwriters and radio anchors to athletic directors, communications coordinators, and marketing managers. Whatever you have a spark for, a degree in Communication Studies from MVNU will lay the groundwork for you to create a successful and meaningful career.
MVNU Communication Studies graduates have worked at:
- Belhaven University
- Air Culinaire Worldwide
- Beaver Excavating Company
- Mommy and Me Fitness
- The Shipyard, LLC (Columbus)
- Sugar Bean Sweets (Ashland, OH)