Communication & Media
Communication is at the heart of the human experience. At MVNU, we believe that how we interact with one another — and the skill with which we communicate — is the framework for family, commerce, economics, politics, education, entertainment, and even technology.
With MVNU’s Communication and Media major, students develop practical skills needed for organizational and interpersonal leadership and careers in everything from journalism and mass media production to public relations to event planning.
The digital media concentration equips students with a passion for journalism, audio/radio, video/television, and film. We help you develop the relevant performance and production skills you need for a successful career in the ever-changing media industry.
The strategic communication concentration blends foundational learning in time-tested communication theory, small group processes, and mass media, and dives deeper into public relations, plus establishing and implementing ethical foundations upon which your organization or brand can build a positive image.
- Hands-on experience — The MVNU Department of Communication offers students unique opportunities to gain the kind of real, relevant experience that stands out on a résumé. Whether you become a DJ or manager for MVNU’s professional radio station, WNZR, a writer for the student newspaper, the Lakeholm Viewer, a videographer or sportscaster for WNZR.TV for the MVNU Cougars, producing chapel services on MVNU.TV, or working in a public relations practicum, you will gain the experience you need to have an edge in your career.
- Faith integration — At MVNU, a strong emphasis is placed on building ethical standards to guide Communication and Media majors in their future careers. We are devoted to helping you understand the ethical guidelines and responsibility that is integral to a career in any sector of media.
- Robust minors — Communication minors include digital media and strategic communication, plus our newest offering, Sports Media. Travel semester minors in Nashville for Music Production and Los Angeles for Film Studies are also available through the CCCU.
- Technical skills — You will learn how to use the technologies, programs, and equipment required to produce effective, high-quality media, especially in radio, video, and print formats.
- Professional Portfolio — All Communication & Media majors take a Professional Portfolio and Management course during their junior year. This class will provide you with an understanding of the industry’s behind-the-scenes practices, plus career-planning tools and help you create a portfolio website to display your body of work for potential employers.
- Dr. Daniel Behr, Professor of Communication
Professor Eric Brown, Adjunct Instructor in Public Speaking
- Professor Jayme McMillan, Instructor in Visual Media
- Professor Joseph Rinehart, Assistant Professor of Communication and Department Chair
- Professor Laural Heinze, Adjunct Instructor in Public Relations
- Professor Alan Reed, Lakeholm Viewer adviser and Adjunct Instructor in Journalism
- Professor Charles Vanasse, Adjunct Instructor in Communication
As an MVNU Communication and Media major, you’ll have all the tools and creative space you need to make great things — whether you’re on-air or recording radio spots and promos in the WNZR studios, editing video in our Mac Lab, transcribing an interview for your article in the next issue of the Lakeholm Viewer, or participating in one of nearly 100 live video streams at WNZR.TV and MVNU.TV, using streaming suites in the RR Hodges Chapel, Ariel Arena or the new Soccer/Lacrosse stadium. In the Founders Hall Mac lab, you will also have access to 16 iMacs which include programs like Adobe Creative Cloud and Final Cut Pro X. Between software, video cameras, microphones, digital recorders and other accessories, you will have every opportunity and tool you need to get creative and hone your craft.
Communication and Media majors who are involved with WNZR radio and TV, plus Public Relations, have the opportunity to travel to, and participate in, the annual National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) International Christian Media Convention, plus CMB University through the Christian Music Broadcasters. Traveling with our MVNU men’s and women’s basketball teams for Crossroads or NAIA National Tournament games is also possible.
Summer communication internships have included students working anywhere from Akron, Ohio, to Houston, Texas, to Yellowstone National Park to Manila, Philippines!
All MVNU students are also invited to participate in our many other service and learning trips.
Students who have completed at least one year in the program can apply for the WNZR Community Endowment, which awards up to $1,000 to a Communication and Media major/digital media concentration with at least a 3.0 GPA. This scholarship was founded and is supported by WNZR’s Lifeline fundraiser.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors.
A degree in Communication and Media opens the door to a wealth of career opportunities.
MVNU grads have gone on to be everything from songwriters and radio hosts to athletic directors, YouTubers, development directors, communications coordinators, and marketing managers. You could go on to work in broadcast/print/web journalism, sports casting, filmmaking, corporate or educational media, marketing, advertising, or one of a number of other excellent career choices.
- KSBJ/NGEN Radio (Houston, TX)
- RadioU/TVU Network
- People Now (New York, NY)
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- Columbus Clippers Baseball
- Rocket Mortgage (Detroit, MI)
- Nationwide Insurance
- Bally Sports
- Warner Brothers Studios (Los Angeles, CA)
- Way Truth Life Radio (State College, PA)
- Mount Vernon News
- USA Today/Gannett Media
- Air Culinaire Worldwide
- Hope FM (Palatka, FL)
- Kinship United (Chicago)
- Nazarene Global Missions
- 104.9 The River (Columbus)
- ABC 6/FOX 28 Columbus
- Jesse Duplantis Ministries (New Orleans, LA)
- Star 88.3 (Ft. Wayne, IN)
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Public Relations
- Michigan Technological University Athletics
- Rocky Brands, Inc.
- Guggisberg Cheese
- Chase Home Lending/Marketing