Are you looking to prepare yourself for ministry, but are open to a variety of ministry roles and places?
MVNU’s Christian Ministry major will give you the foundation needed to provide pastoral care and leadership in a variety of settings and ministry positions. Students in this concentration will receive both the academic and practical education needed to minister in today’s context. Foundational knowledge in the areas of Bible, theology, and church history is expanded and applied through practical theology courses in preaching, worship, leadership, and pastoral care. Additionally, the smaller major size allows for more extensive study in other disciplines, which benefits those interested in church planting or co-vocational ministry.
- Qualified Faculty — MVNU faculty are not only qualified academically, but also bring ministry experience to the classroom. With a variety of backgrounds in different ministry roles, and current ministry involvement, the faculty are well prepared to apply the principles of ministry in a relevant and practical way.
- Hands on experience — Practical ministry experience is a part of the program at MVNU. What you learn in the classroom will be applied in the context of a local church or ministry. Beyond the required practical experience, many internships and service possibilities are available for additional practical experience.
- Graduate success — Christian Ministry majors from MVNU are readily able to find placement in ministry positions and are serving in those roles successfully.
- Prof. Jennifer Ballenger, Assistant Professor of Youth and Family
- Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão, Professor of Biblical Literature
- Dr. Lincoln Stevens, Professor of Philosophy
- Dr. Eric Vail, Associate Professor of Theology
- Dr. Doug VanNest, Professor of Pastoral Practics and School Dean
- Dr. Michael VanZant, Professor of Biblical Literature and Coordinator of the Master of Ministry Program
The School of Christian Ministry offers annual opportunities to travel to countries significant to the Christian faith. Our most recent trips include:
- 2015 — Turkey and Greece, where students walk in the footsteps of Paul and visit the locations where many of the New Testament and early church events took place.
- 2016, 2019 — Israel and Jordan, where students walk in the footsteps of Jesus and the prophets. They see for themselves the lands where their favorite Bible stories took place and experience the culture and history that has shaped our traidtion.
- 2017 — Germany and Switzerland, where you can walk in the footsteps of the Reformers and see the places where Western tradition was deeply shaped.
- Coming in 2020 — Turkey and Greece
For other service learning and academic travel possibilities, visit mvnu.edu/travel.
MVNU has many endowed scholarships available for students of a wide variety of backgrounds and majors. Additionally, the Nazarene Ministerial Scholarship Program exists for those Nazarene students intending to serve in the Church of the Nazarene.
The Christian Ministry major will provide excellent preparation for those intending to serve in local church ministry roles such as lead pastor, associate pastor, or church planter. The program also provides a good foundation for those intending to pursue the further education and training required for chaplaincy in a hospital or in the military.
MVNU Christian Ministry graduates are currently serving as lead pastors, associate pastors, youth pastors, children’s pastors, and church planters. Additionally, many have successfully completed graduate degrees in seminary or other graduate schools.
"Even if I wanted to make a painting to express how grateful I am towards all that have supported me these past years, I could not."Amorelle Jacox, '16