Chemistry and Physical Sciences
Chemistry is the scientific study of matter and its properties. Since matter is anything that has mass and occupies space, this means chemists are interested in just about everything. Through investigating the substances and reactions that occur in our world, students of chemistry can better appreciate the scientific harmony that makes life possible.
A degree in chemistry will prepare you for a variety of career options, such as forensic science, laboratory science, or a variety of health-professional careers. It will also adequately prepare you to move on to graduate school once you have obtained your degree in Chemistry. This degree includes study of the five main branches of the science: organic, inorganic, biological, analytical, and physical.
- Faith integration — In the MVNU Chemistry department, a strong emphasis is placed on discovering and exploring the interrelationships between scientific knowledge and Christian belief. We are invested in helping you create a positive ethical framework that will shape your approach to your life and career.
- Qualified faculty — The professors you will work with every day have earned doctoral degrees from highly reputable universities and have received prestigious awards for their excellence in teaching. In fact, many members of our faculty are still actively involved in their fields.
- Practical experience — As you learn, you’ll have the opportunity to help others learn as well. Most junior and senior chemistry majors work as laboratory assistants or recitation leaders for lower-division classes, providing younger students with the guidance and assistance they need to be successful in the classes you’ve already been through! Plus, most of these positions are paid.
A Chemistry degree provides a wide range of career options. Agriculture, pharmaceuticals, forensic science, biotechnology, oceanography, energy conservation, meteorology — all of these fields and more require a substantial knowledge of chemistry, which is exactly what you will get with MVNU’s Chemistry program.
MVNU grads have gone on to study at many prestigious schools, including:
- Case Western Reserve University
- Purdue University
- State University of Iowa
- Kent State University
- The Ohio State University
- The University of Cincinnati
- The University of Toledo
- Indiana University