A degree in Accounting makes you a vital asset to a business in any industry.
As the language of business, Accounting is a career path with widespread applications in government, the private sector, and non-profit organizations. It is a field of rapid growth, with demand for educated and reliable accountants rising every year.
- Options – MVNU’s Accounting major offers concentrations in Certified Public Accounting (CPA) and Forensic Accounting.
- Faith integration — A strong emphasis is placed on the connection between Judeo-Christian principles and business. We’re invested in helping you develop an ethical framework that will shape your approach in whatever aspect of business you create a career.
- Professional opportunities — As an Accounting major at MVNU, you’ll have the opportunity to gain real world experience through internships. You will have access to institutional connections with business leaders in the Columbus area and beyond. Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in Enactus, an award-winning entrepreneurial campus organization that enables students to network and begin their professional journey long before graduation.
- Dual-Degree Program —At MVNU, Accounting majors taking the CPA concentration have the option to complete one of two Dual Degree programs. Both the Dual Bachelor of Science in Accounting (CPA) and Master of Science in Management or the Dual Bachelor of Science in Accounting (CPA) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs allow students to leave MVNU having completed the semester hours required to sit for the CPA exam while simultaneously earning a Master’s degree.
- Professor Timothy Chesnut, Associate Professor of Finance
- Dr. James Dalton, Professor of Accounting and GPS Business Programs Coordinator
- Dr. Kevin Hughes, Professor of Management
- Professor Judy Madtes, Assistant Professor of Business
- Dr. Kelly Rush, Associate Professor of Finance and Department Chair
- Dr. Mark Shoaf, Professor of Management
- Dr. Melanie Timmerman, Professor of Business and School Dean
MVNU is known for putting out savvy, real-world-ready Accounting graduates. That is due, in part, to our resources. All of your business classes will be held in the Jetter School of Business. This building boasts a large, round classroom in the center that serves as an ideal setting for large classes or visits from renowned speakers. It also features an up-to-date computer lab, which is used for computer-based courses, such as Spreadsheets. You will be able to learn the newest, most relevant aspects of programs like Excel while getting hands-on experience with them as you learn.
Accounting majors will have the opportunity to travel through their participation in Enactus or the International Business Institute (IBI).
- Enactus is an international non-profit organization that brings together student, academic, and business leaders who are committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to improve the quality of life and standard of living for people in need. Guided by academic advisors and business experts, the student leaders of Enactus create and implement community empowerment projects around the globe.
- The Belize Clean Water Coalition focuses on purifying the unclean drinking water in the country of Belize in three villages. MVNU Enactus members travel to Belize to educate children and adults about the importance of clean drinking water by introducing the Berkey Water Filtration system that purifies a sustainable amount of water.
- For other service learning and academic travel possibilities, visit mvnu.edu/travel.
International Business Institute
- The International Business Institute is designed to give students in economics, business management, and related areas a distinctive opportunity for a term of study that incorporates the international dimension of these fields in an experiential context overseas. The program is ten weeks in length and includes periods of residence in key locations as well as coordinated visits and presentations in the major political and economic centers of Russia, The European Union, India, and China.
The Tamara S. Bolender Endowed Scholarship and the Keyser Family Endowed Scholarship are MVNU Endowed Scholarships available to Accounting majors. For more information on MVNU endowed scholarships, please visit the Endowment Scholarships Page.
There is no limit to what you can do with an Accounting degree MVNU Accounting graduates accept job offers from major corporations, professional firms, small businesses, and ministry organizations.
Where are our Accounting majors working?
- Local, Regional, and National Certified Public Accounting firms
- Local, State, and National Government
- Private Industry at business such as: Jarrett Logistics Systems, The Wendy’s Company, and Honda.