|MVNU Home / Mount Vernon, Ohio |
- Mount Vernon
- Kokosing Gap Trail - 14.1 miles of paved scenic railway - great for walking, biking, and roller-blading. Both Memorial Park and the trail are within walking distance of the campus.
- Fishing - Knox Lake is approximately 20 minutes from the campus, and the Kokosing 15 minutes away.
- Bowling - Colonial City Lanes: Phone # 392-2695
- Movies - Premiere Theatres: Phone # 392-2220
- Golf Courses - Apple Valley Golf Course: Phone # 397-7664
Chapel Hill Golf Course Clubhouse: Phone # 393-3999
Hiawatha Golf Course: Phone # 393-2886
Irish Hills Golf Course: Phone # 397-6252
- First Fridays - Downtown Mount Vernon on the square
- Outdoor Activities - Waterfall: Honey Run Falls
- Parks - Ariel Foundation Park
Knox County Parks
- Gambier: Serendipity Farm and Stables Open House
- Columbus and vicinity (approximately 1 hour to the southeast).
- Columbus Zoo - world famous zoo featuring Jack Hanna.
- COSI - Center of Science and Industry is a great place for all ages.
- Columbus Museum of Art - downtown location within walking distance of City Center Shopping Mall.
- Columbus Crew Stadium - Home of the Columbus Crew of Major League Soccer.
- Columbus Destroyers - Arena Football
- Columbus Blue Jackets - NHL Hockey team
- Columbus Clippers Baseball
- Shopping: Easton Town Center - outdoor style mall featuring world-famous dining and entertainment.
Polaris Fashion Place
The Mall at Tuttle Crossing
- Additional Activities - recreational lakes, country roads dotted with farm stands, and scores of shopping and entertainment opportunities.
- Mansfield/Richland County Area
- Shopping Mall - Richland Mall
- Malabar State Farm Park - a lovely farm which Louis Bromfield reclaimed from ecological collapse.
- Richland Carousel Park - a beautiful, all-wood, hand-carved carousel designed and made in Ohio and is located in a heated pavilion that is opened year round. The Carousel Park is located on 75 N. Main St. in Mansfield. Phone # 419-522-4223
- Kingwood Center
- Newark (30 minutes south of the campus)
- Shopping Mall - Indian Mound Mall
- National Heisey Glass Museum - The Museum consists of the historic Samuel D. King residence, an 1831 Greek Revival style home which was saved from demolition and moved to Veterans Park in July of 1973, and a new wing added in 1993 which features two large galleries, a media center and an archives facility. The Museum also contains a library facility open to HCA members and a Museum Shop stocked with reproductions made from Heisey molds, collectors' books, art glass produced at the HCA Glass Studio, and even some original Heisey. The HCA Glass Studio also offers monthly glass making classes.
- Indian Artifacts - astonishing earthwork structures built by the Hopewell Indians; Great Circle Earthworks (built around the time of Christ), Moundbuilders Earthworks is a museum of prehistoric Native American art. Nearby, and much older is Flint Ridge where Ice Age dwellers found flint. Serpent Mound may be more than 2000 years old and is one of the finest examples of mound building in the nation.
- Coshocton (approximately 1 hour east)
- Historic Roscoe Village - an authentic recreation of a 1830's canal town that is full of things to do. Ride on a horse drawn canal boat, the Monticello III, and watch crafts people work at 19th-century arts (e.g. candle-making, weaving, quilting, pottery). Roscoe Village is located on 440 N. Whitewoman St. Phone # 1-800-877-1830
- Utica (20 minutes south of the campus)
- Velvet Ice Cream's Ye Ole Mill
- Akron/Canton Area (approximately 1 hour 30 minutes nouth)
- Boston Mills Ski Resort - Phone # 330-657-2334
- AerOhio Skydiving Center - Phone # 330-9253483
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad - Phone # 330-657-2000
- National Inventors Hall of Fame - Phone # 330-762-6565
- Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom - Phone # 330-562-8303
- NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame - Phone # 330-456-8207
- Laser Quest - Phone # 330-966-9966
- Canton Classic Car Museum - Phone # 330-455-3603
- Sandusky Area (approximately 2 1/2 hours north)
- Great Wolf Lodge
- Kelleys Island
If you would life more information call 1-800-BUCKEYE for a visitor's manual. This manual gives extensive information with telephone numbers.