Financial Aid Process
Getting started is a two-step process:
Apply to MVNU. The financial aid process cannot begin until the Admissions office has your application.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. GPS SCHOOL CODE 007085. This important step is required for any financial aid, including loans, to be awarded.
*If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Department of Education, additional documentation is necessary. Contact Student Financial Services for additional information.
Discover your financing opportunities through grants, loans, and/or employer tuition remission.
- Federal Pell Grant - a federally funded need-based grant for undergraduate students. Fill out the FAFSA to apply.
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program - available to undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Fill out the FAFSA to apply.
Loans - a form of financial aid that, along with interest charges, must be repaid.
- Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan - a need-based loan program that allows students to borrow money for the purpose of financing their education. The federal government pays the interest on this loan while the student is in school and during the six-month grace period after enrollment ends. Repayment begins following the six-month grace period.
- Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan - a non need-based loan program that allows students to borrow money for the purpose of financing their education. Students can be eligible for an unsubsidized loan even if they are not eligible for the Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan. Grace period and repayment are the same, but students are responsible for paying all of the interest that accrues while they are in school.
Roland E. & Juanita B. Ferguson Endowed Scholarship ($1,200)
This scholarship is awarded to Business majors who demonstrate financial need.
Rev. Wesley J. & Judy A. Hawes Memorial Endowed Scholarship ($1,000)
This scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need, have declared a major in the School of Christian Ministry, have a 2.5+ GPA, and are juniors or seniors (minimum 2nd year GPS), with special consideration to students age 28+ with at least 5 years in a secular career.
Leonard/Wade Advanced Leadership Endowed Scholarship ($750)
This scholarship is awarded to graduate students who are Nazarene members, maintain a 3.0+ GPA, demonstrate financial need, have a recommendation from their pastor or district superintendent, and have served as ministerial staff in a local church for past 5+ years. Preference is given to ministerial staff from 1) Bethel Nazarene, then 2) SWO District, and then 3) MVNU region.
Joseph & Peggy Metzger Memorial Endowed Scholarship ($900)
This scholarship is awarded to 2 GPS students enrolled in the MBA or MSM programs who have a 3.0+ GPA and demonstrate financial need. One of the scholarships is awarded to a veteran, woman, or minority.
Raymond G. Taylor Endowed Scholarship ($450)
This scholarship is awarded to undergrad or grad students from the NCO or EO Districts who are members of the Church of the Nazarene, demonstrate financial need, maintain a 2.5+ GPA, and have a recommendation from their pastor. Preference is given to students from Ashtabula County and/or in ministry preparation.
Employer Tuition Reimbursement - When you improve your mind and add to your skills, you become more valuable to your employer. A growing number of companies believe that encouraging employees to further their education, through partial or full tuition reimbursement offers a tremendous return on their investment.
Employers deliver tuition payment differently:
- Reimbursement made directly to employee
- Payments made to the University
- Voucher payment system