|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration |
Dr. David Michael Wilkes
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3510
- Ph.D. University of Rhode Island, English Literature, 1990, with concentrations in the British Romantics, the 19th century novel, and the works of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens
- M.A. University of California at Santa Barbara, English/American Literature, 1985.
- B.A. University of California at Santa Barbara, English, 1981.
- Professor of English, 2000 to present, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Ohio
- Chair of English and Modern Languages
- Dean, School of Arts and Humanities, 2004 to 2006, Mount Vernon Nazarene University
- Associate Professor of English, 1996 to 2000, Mount Vernon Nazarene College
- Lecturer, 1990 to 1996, College of Continuing Education at University of Rhode Island, Community
- College of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College, Roger Williams University
- Visiting Professor of English, 1991 to 1992, Polytechnic Institute of Guarda, Portugal
Awards and Recognition:
- Modern Language Association
- Midwest MLA
- Sabbaticals, MVNU, Spring 2011 and Fall 2003
- Summer Mini-Grant, MVNU, 2008, 2003, 1999, 1998, 1997
- Presidentís Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2001
- Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, inducted 1989
Favorite Subject-Related Links:
Favorite Scripture Verses:
- "Putting the Bite on the Past: Travesty as Tribute in Jane Austen and Grahame-Smithís Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", Midwest MLA Conference, Cincinnati, OH, November 9-11, 2012.
- "The Mudworm's Bower and Other Metropastoral Spaces: Novelization and Clashing Chronotopes in Our Mutual Friend." Dickens Studies Annual 42
- "Piecing Together George Schroeder." Review of the artist's collages. February 2010. georgeschroederart.net/artwork/1616508_Piecing_Together_George_Schroeder.html
- "Portrait of a Christian as a Young Man." Colleague Faith 3. Ronald Alan Knott, ed. Berrien Spring, MI: St Andrews University Press, 2006. 49-50.
- "This Most Protean Sitter": The Factory Worker and Triangular Desire in Hard Times." Dickens Studies Annual) 36 (2005): 153-181.
- "Coleridge's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner." The Explicator 61.4 (Summer 2003): 202-204.
- "Passing Cruikshank's Bottle: From Temperance Tract to Dickensian Satire." Dickens Quarterly 19.2 (2002): 80-88.
- "Dickens, Bakhtin, and the Neopastoral Shepherd in Oliver Twist." Dickens Studies Annual 24 (1996): 59-79.
Past jobs and/or current hobbies unrelated to your profession:
- Acts 17: 16-33
- Proverbs 16: 1
- Hebrews 11:1
- Cable TV line installer, Santa Barbara, CA
- Hobbies include house remodeling, gardening, playing my Fender Telecaster on the worship team, traveling with my family