Dr. Zachary Graber
Associate Professor of Chemistry
School of Natural and Social Sciences
740-392-6868 Ext. 3211Email Dr. Graber
In The News
MVNU’s summer research program spurs scientific exploration
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (December 13, 2022) — Through Mount Vernon Nazarene University’s new Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) program, 12 MVNU students conducted eight weeks of faculty-mentored scientific research during the summer of 2022. This was the first year for the program.
- Associate Professor, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, OH, 2018-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Pennsylvania, Phila., PA, 2015-2018
- Graduate Research Assistant, Kent State University, Kent, OH, 2010-2014
- Software Engineer, Online Development, Knoxville, TN, 2008-2010
- Member, American Chemical Society, 2020-present
- Member, American Scientific Affiliation, 2020-present
Awards and Recognition
- CIE Technology Innovation Grant, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, August 2019
- Taylor Research Award, April 2014. Award for my work on “Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisophosphate ionization in the presence of cholesterol, calcium or magnesium ions”
- Kent State University Fellowship, April 2013
AWARDED: Graduate appointment for Spring 2014 semester with no service requirement
- Boehringer Ingelheim Stiftung Travel Grant, April 2013. Provided funds for the registration fee of the FEBS/EMBO 2013 Biomembranes Summer course in Cargèse, Corsica. Presented work on the “Physical chemistry of Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate-protein binding properties”
- Kent State University International Travel Grant, June 2013. Provided funds for travel to the FEBS/EMBO 2013 Biomembranes Summer Course in Cargèse, Corsica. Presented work on the “Physical chemistry of Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate-protein binding properties”
- Biophysical Society Education Travel Grant, February 2012. Provided funds for travel to the 56th annual Biophysical Society meeting in San Diego, CA. Presented work on the “Ionization properties of Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate in complex ternary lipid mixtures”
Published Works & Presentations
- Molaei, M.; Kandy, S. K.; Graber, Z. T.; Baumgart, T.; Radhakrishnan, R.; Crocker, J. C. Probing Lipid Membrane Bending Mechanics Using Gold Nanorod Tracking. Phys. Rev. Research 2022, 4 (1), L012027. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevResearch.4.L012027.
- Graber, Z.; Owusu Kwarteng, D.; Lange, S. M.; Koukounas, Y.; Khalifa, H.; Mutambuze, J. W.; Kooijman, E. E. The Electrostatic Basis of Diacylglycerol Pyrophosphate—Protein Interaction. Cells 2022, 11 (2), 290. https://doi.org/10.3390/cells11020290.
- Mandal, K.; Aroush, D.R.; Graber, Z.T.; Wu, B.; Park, C.Y.; Fredberg, J.J.; Guo, W.; Baumgart, T.; Janmey, P.A., Soft Hyaluronic Gels Promote Cell Spreading, Stress Fibers, Focal Adhesion, and Membrane Tension by Phosphoinositide Signaling, Not Traction Force. ACS Nano 2019 13 (1), 203-214.
- Shi, Z.; Graber, Z.T.; Baumgart, T.; Stone, H.A.; Cohen, A.E., Cell Membranes Resist Flow. Cell, 2018 175 (7), 1769-1779.
- Wilner, S. E.; Xiao, Q.; Graber, Z.T.; Sherman, S.E.; Percec, V.; Baumgart, T.; “Dendrimersomes exhibit lamellar-to-sponge phase transitions” Langmuir 2018, 34 (19), 5527–5534.
- Graber, Z. T.*; Thomas, J.*; Johnson, E.; Gericke, A.; Kooijman, E. E., Effect of H-Bond Donor Lipids on Phosphatidylinositol-3,4,5-Trisphosphate Ionization and Clustering. Biophysical journal, 2018, 114 (1), 126-136.
- Graber, Z. T.; Shi, Z.; Baumgart, T., Cations induce shape remodeling of negatively charged phospholipid membranes. Physical chemistry chemical physics, 2017, 19 (23), 15285-15295.
- Kooijman, E. E.; Swim, L. A.; Graber, Z. T.; Tyurina, Y. Y.; Bayir, H.; Kagan, V. E., Magic angle spinning 31P NMR spectroscopy reveals two essentially identical ionization states for the cardiolipin phosphates in phospholipid liposomes. Biochimica et biophysica acta, 2016, 1859 (1), 61-68
- Graber, Z. T.; Wang, W.; Singh, G.; Kuzmenko, I.; Vaknin, D.; Kooijman E. E., Competitive cation binding to phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate domains revealed by X-ray fluorescence. RSC Advances 5, 2015, 106536-106542.
- Graber, Z. T.; Gericke, A.; Kooijman, E. E., Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate ionization in the presence of cholesterol, calcium or magnesium ions. Chemistry and physics of lipids, 2014, 182, 62-72.
- Graber, Z. T.; Kooijman, E. E., Ionization behavior of polyphosphoinositides determined via the preparation of pH titration curves using solid-state 31P NMR. Plant Lipid Signaling Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, 2013, 1009.
- Graber, Z. T.; Jiang, Z.; Gericke, A.; Kooijman, E. E., Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate ionization and domain formation in the presence of lipids with hydrogen bond donor capabilities. Chemistry and physics of lipids, 2012, 165 (6), 696-704.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry, Kent State University, 2014
- B.S. Electronics Engineering Technology, Grantham University, 2008