Dr. Patrick Majors
Associate Professor of Mechancal Engineering
- Bluffton University, (2021) Adjunct Professor of Business (MBA Program)
- Cooper Tire and Rubber Company, 2005-January 2021
- Senior Manager, Research (2020-Jan 2021) and Predictive Technology (2017-Jan 2021)
- Manager, Tire and Material Mechanics, 2010-2017
- Manager, Computer Aided Engineering, 2009-2010
- Lead Engineer, Tire Science, 2005-2009
- Sulzer Carbomedics (now Sorin), 2001-2005
- Manager, Mechanical and Chemical Characterization of Materials, 2004-2005
- Lead Engineer, Polymer Heart Valve Team of Product Development, 2001-2005
- Michelin Tire, 1993-2001
- Joint Appointments – Lead Engineer in New Tire Concepts and New Materials Concepts
Published Works & Presentations:
- Majors, P. S. (1998), “A Methodology to Predict Tire Pinch Shock Resulting from Impact Type Road Hazards,” presented at the 17th Annual Meeting ad Conference on Tire Science and Technology, April 28-29, 1998.
- Majors, P. S. and E. Krempl, (1994), “Comments on Induced Anisotropy, the Swift Effect, and Finite Deformation Inelasticity,” in Mechanics Research Communications, Vol. 21, pp. 465-472.
- Majors, P. S. and E. Krempl, (1994), “The Isotropic Viscoplasticity Theory Based on Overstress Applied to the Modeling of Modified 9%Cr-1%Mo Steel at 538 Degrees Celsius,” in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. A186, pp. 23-34.
- Majors, P. S. and E. Krempl, (1991), “A Recovery of State Formulation for the Viscoplasticity Theory Based on Overstress,” in High Temperature Constitutive Modeling – Theory and Application, ASME.
- Majors, P. S., E. Krempl and M. B. Ruggles, (1991), “The Rate (Time)-Dependent Mechanical Behavior of Modified 9CR-1Mo Steel – II. Isothermal Modeling at 538 Degrees Celsius Using Viscoplasticity Theory Based on Overstress,” in Transactions of the 11th Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology.
- Tire Society
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Favorite Scripture Verse:
Matthew 7:12 – “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets”. (NIV)
Past jobs and/or current hobbies unrelated to your profession:
- Ages 12, 13: Mowed yards, trimmed hedges for neighbors
- Ages 14-16: Poured concrete: foundations, driveways, swimming pools, etc.
- Ages 17 and 19: Sold new and used cars (Volvos, Alfa Romeos, etc.)
Formerly a highly-compensated volunteer assistant soccer coach and soccer tournament organizer. Arranged for and cleaned Porta-Potties for large soccer tournaments. Earned the nickname, “The Porta-Potty King”!
- Ph.D., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Mechanical Engineering
- M.S., Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Mechanical Engineering
- B.S., Texas A&M University, Mechanical Engineering