Prof. Justin Sorensen
In The News
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — Justin Sorensen, assistant professor of art at MVNU, was recently recognized for his previous exhibition works. From September to December of 2017, his video work “The Foolish Builder” was a part of the exhibition “Since Then” at the Kamloops Art Gallery in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, which looked at “what it means to endure from a historical and contemporary point of view.”
Associate Professor of Art, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, 2016 – present
Assistant Professor of Art, Williston State College, 2015 – 2016
Visiting Instructor in Art, Luther College, 2014
Instructor of Record, Rhode Island School of Design, 2013
CIVA, Christians in the Visual Arts
- Research Fellowship, Nagel Institute, Calvin University
Full Merit Scholarship, The Glen West Workshop
Award of Distinction in Drawing, University of North Carolina - Asheville
RISD Fellowship and Assistantship, Rhode Island School of Design
Graduate Fellowship, Bucknell University
- Rotating Tires, Nizhny Tagil Museum of Fine Arts, Nizhny Tagil, Russia, 2021
- Divergent Deliveries*, Akron Soul Train, Akron, OH, 2021
- A Pattern in the Sky*, Metcalf Gallery, Taylor University, Upland, IN, 2020
- Looking at Things Directly*, Carlson Tower Gallery, North Park University, Chicago, IL, 2019
- "A Quiet Orbit," Christians in the Visual Arts Blog, 2019. To view a short documentary video of Justin’s reflections on displacement, click here.
- Exhibit "How to Live with Stones" in the Henry Luce III Center for the Arts and Religion at the Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington, D.C., May 10-Aug. 17, 2018
- Video "The Foolish Builder," was included in the exhibition "Since Then," at the Kamloops Art Gallery in Kamloops, BC, Canada, September-December 2017.
- Featured in the 2018 OH+5, 2018 Ohio Border 11th Biennial Exhibition at The Dairy Barn Arts Center in Athens, Ohio.
- Essay "Four Parts Water" was published by The Digital Press at the University of North Dakota in fall 2017 and included in the book Codex.
- MAKING NOW, Duke Art Gallery, Azusa Pacific University, Azusa, CA, 2017
- Stalking the Snow Leopard, North Dakota Museum of Art, Grand Forks, ND, 2016
- Since Then, Marvin Francis Media Gallery, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 2016
- Between Two Points, (SCENE) Metrospace, East Lansing, MI, 2016
- Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird, Chazan Gallery, Providence, RI, 2015
- MFA in Printmaking, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, Rhode Island (2013)
- BFA in Studio Art, Kutztown University, Kutztown, Pennsylvania (2009)