Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão
Professor of Biblical Literature and Intercultural Studies
School of Christian Ministry
740-397-9000, Ext. 3602Email Dr. Serrão
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University
- Professor of Inter-Cultural Studies, 2019 to present
- Professor of Biblical Literature, 2007 to present
- Master of Ministry Program Coordinator, Video-Conferencing and Online Professor 2014 to 2017
- Certificate of Ministry Program Coordinator, Video-Conferencing Professor, 2015 to 2017
- Affiliate Professor, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 2013 to 2020
- Multi-Campus Seminary Liaison (MVNU), Nazarene Theological Seminary, 2011 to 2018
- Dean, School of Theology and Philosophy, 2003 to 2018
- Associate Professor of Religion 2002 to 2007
- Assistant Professor of Religion, 1999 to 2002
- Other Employment
- Professor, Online Classes, Nazarene Bible College, 1999 to 2003, 2018 to present
- Instructor, United Methodist Summer Licensing School, New Testament, Claremont School of Theology, 1991 to 1999
- Adjunct Professor, New Testament Studies, Azusa Pacific University, 1993-1994
- Adjunct Professor, Los Angeles Pacific University, 2018-present
- School Administrator, Highland Avenue Christian School, 1991-1995
- Education Pastor, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1990-1999
- Children's Pastor, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1987-1990
- Adjunct Professor, Resident Counselor, Special Events Coordinator, Trevecca Nazarene College, 1982-1984
- Professor, European Nazarene College, 1979-1981
- Association of Nazarene Sociologists and Researchers
- Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene, International
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Wesleyan / Holiness Women Clergy, International
- Wesleyan Theological Society
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected for CCCU Leadership Development Institute for Women, June 2004
- Research Assistant, The Bible and Epic Project, Institute for Antiquity and Christianity, 1990-1991
- Tuition Fellowship, The Claremont Graduate University, 1987-1989
- Student Body President, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
- Outstanding Student Award, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
Published Works and Presentations
Books / Chapters
- “Steward of the Scriptures” The Pastor as Theological Steward. The Foundry, In-process, 2022?)
- “Tackling the Challenging Passages in the New Testament” Faithful to the Call, Chapter 3, The Foundry, 2022.
- Ruth & Esther, Shaped by Scripture series of Bible Studies, The Foundry, 2022.
- James, Shaped by Scripture series of Bible Studies, The Foundry, 2020
- Global Wesleyan Bible Dictionary Advisory Committee and author for entry on “Hope” for the Global Wesleyan Bible Dictionary. (2020)
- Foundations for Women’s Ordination Module for USA/Canada Course of Study, Church of the Nazarene: primary editor and one of the authors. Faculty Guide and Student Guide (September 2014)
- The Fruit of the Spirit: Evidence of the Flourishing Christian Life, WordAction Publishing Company, Dialog Series, Fall of 2013.
- "Practical Wisdom from James," The Bible Tells Me So: Reading the Bible as Scripture, edited by Richard P. Thompson and Thomas Jay Oord (SacraSage Press: Nampa, Idaho, 2011).
- Serrão, C. Jeanne Orjala. James, A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary Series. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 2010.
- “To the Praise of His Glory: Ephesians,” Adult Faith Connections (Winter 2010), Sessions 5-13 (Co-wrote with students: Christina Bush Bohn and Shannon Pavlovic Edwards.)
- “No Other Gospel: Galatians,” Adult Bible Fellowship Study Book (JJA07) 5 Expositions and 1 bonus session
- Faith and Gender Equity: Lesson Plans Across the College Curriculum, (2007) Editors C. Jeanne Serrão and Susie C. Stanley. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers. (Result of WHWC Educational Initiative)
- Discovering the New Testament, Nazarene Publishing House (Date of Publication: February 2005). Wrote 4 chapters for this collaborative college-level textbook. Was subsequently combined with OT text into Discovering the Bible.
- New Testament History and Literature, Curriculum Module for Pastoral Ministries, Church of the Nazarene, Course of Study, 2002.
- Developed and taught the Introduction to the New Testament course for the EXCELL Associate of Arts Degree (2001)
- 5 Commentaries on James. For Illustrated Bible Life Resource. March 2023. Publishing date.
- Four expositions on Titus/Philemon. Adult Faith Connection. Unit 3: for Summer 2023 quarter. The Foundry.
- False Prophets in Ephesus. Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource. Summer 2022 publishing date, The Foundry.
- Feature article for Holiness Today (January/February 2020 issue): “Why Did Jesus come: To fix the OT Covenant or to fulfill it?”
- Six Expositions on 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Adult Faith Connection, Unit 1 for Summer 2021, The Foundry.
- Athens, Locations and Philosophy. Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource. Summer 2019 publishing date.
- Food Sacrificed to Idols (Revelation 2:18-29). Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource.
- Paul’s Argument for Sexual Purity (I Corinth 6:9-20). Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource
- “Meet Five Unique Women in Jesus' Family Tree” in the “Our Message” column of the November/December 2010 issue of Holiness Today. (http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10009814)
- “Reclaiming the Radical Story,” Holiness Today, May/June 2009 (Part 1: http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008070), September/October 2009 (Part 2: http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008810) with Dr. Kent Brower
- Contributed two advent devotionals for MVNU Advent Devotional booklet (2007)
- "Truth in Any Language" Holiness Today, November/December 2006 (http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008386)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life, “Crossing Cultural Barriers" (Acts 10:34-49) (May 2006)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life: Fertility Cults and Mystery Religions (Winter 2003-2004)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life: Views of the Inspiration of the Bible (Fall 2003)
- Column for Holiness Today: Fruit of the Spirit: Kindness. (May 2003)
- Editor's Forum panelist for Holiness Today. 11/2002
Last updated on 9/15/2022.
- Ph.D. in Religion, The Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California (1996)
- Dissertation: Holiness and Sexual Ethics in Paul: An Analysis of the Use of Social Sciences in the Study of the New Testament
- M.A. in Religion, The Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California (1993)
- M.A. in Missions Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Missouri (1978)
- M.Div. in Biblical Studies Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Missouri (1977)
- B.A. in Biblical Literature/Language Magna Cum Laude, Mid-America Nazarene University, Olathe, Kansas (1974)