Dr. C. Jeanne Serrão
Professor of Biblical Literature and Intercultural Studies
School of Christian Ministry
740-397-9000, Ext. 3602Email Dr. Serrão
In The News
Couts, Sponseller, others honored by MVNU
MOUNT VERNON — Dr. LeeAnn Couts was named Faculty Member of the Year, while Jared Sponseller was tapped as Staff Member of the Year during Mount Vernon Nazarene University’s annual University Dinner, Monday, Aug. 26.
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University
- Professor of Inter-Cultural Studies, 2019 to present
- Professor of Biblical Literature, 2007 to present
- Master of Ministry Program Coordinator, Video-Conferencing and Online Professor 2014 to 2017
- Certificate of Ministry Program Coordinator, Video-Conferencing Professor, 2015 to 2017
- Affiliate Professor, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 2013 to 2020
- Multi-Campus Seminary Liaison (MVNU), Nazarene Theological Seminary, 2011 to 2018
- Dean, School of Theology and Philosophy, 2003 to 2018
- Associate Professor of Religion 2002 to 2007
- Assistant Professor of Religion, 1999 to 2002
- Other Employment
- Professor, Online Classes, Nazarene Bible College, 1999 to 2003, 2018 to present
- Instructor, United Methodist Summer Licensing School, New Testament, Claremont School of Theology, 1991 to 1999
- Adjunct Professor, New Testament Studies, Azusa Pacific University, 1993-1994
- Adjunct Professor, Los Angeles Pacific University, 2018-present
- School Administrator, Highland Avenue Christian School, 1991-1995
- Education Pastor, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1990-1999
- Children's Pastor, Highland Avenue Community Church of the Nazarene, 1987-1990
- Adjunct Professor, Resident Counselor, Special Events Coordinator, Trevecca Nazarene College, 1982-1984
- Professor, European Nazarene College, 1979-1981
- Association of Nazarene Sociologists and Researchers
- Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene, International
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Wesleyan / Holiness Women Clergy, International
- Wesleyan Theological Society
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected for CCCU Leadership Development Institute for Women, June 2004
- Research Assistant, The Bible and Epic Project, Institute for Antiquity and Christianity, 1990-1991
- Tuition Fellowship, The Claremont Graduate University, 1987-1989
- Student Body President, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
- Outstanding Student Award, Nazarene Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
Published Works and Presentations
Books / Chapters
- “Steward of the Scriptures” The Pastor as Theological Steward. The Foundry, In-process, 2022?)
- “Tackling the Challenging Passages in the New Testament” Faithful to the Call, Chapter 3, The Foundry, 2022.
- Ruth & Esther, Shaped by Scripture series of Bible Studies, The Foundry, 2022.
- James, Shaped by Scripture series of Bible Studies, The Foundry, 2020
- Global Wesleyan Bible Dictionary Advisory Committee and author for entry on “Hope” for the Global Wesleyan Bible Dictionary. (2020)
- Foundations for Women’s Ordination Module for USA/Canada Course of Study, Church of the Nazarene: primary editor and one of the authors. Faculty Guide and Student Guide (September 2014)
- The Fruit of the Spirit: Evidence of the Flourishing Christian Life, WordAction Publishing Company, Dialog Series, Fall of 2013.
- "Practical Wisdom from James," The Bible Tells Me So: Reading the Bible as Scripture, edited by Richard P. Thompson and Thomas Jay Oord (SacraSage Press: Nampa, Idaho, 2011).
- Serrão, C. Jeanne Orjala. James, A Commentary in the Wesleyan Tradition. New Beacon Bible Commentary Series. Kansas City, MO: Beacon Hill Press, 2010.
- “To the Praise of His Glory: Ephesians,” Adult Faith Connections (Winter 2010), Sessions 5-13 (Co-wrote with students: Christina Bush Bohn and Shannon Pavlovic Edwards.)
- “No Other Gospel: Galatians,” Adult Bible Fellowship Study Book (JJA07) 5 Expositions and 1 bonus session
- Faith and Gender Equity: Lesson Plans Across the College Curriculum, (2007) Editors C. Jeanne Serrão and Susie C. Stanley. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers. (Result of WHWC Educational Initiative)
- Discovering the New Testament, Nazarene Publishing House (Date of Publication: February 2005). Wrote 4 chapters for this collaborative college-level textbook. Was subsequently combined with OT text into Discovering the Bible.
- New Testament History and Literature, Curriculum Module for Pastoral Ministries, Church of the Nazarene, Course of Study, 2002.
- Developed and taught the Introduction to the New Testament course for the EXCELL Associate of Arts Degree (2001)
- 5 Commentaries on James. For Illustrated Bible Life Resource. March 2023. Publishing date.
- Four expositions on Titus/Philemon. Adult Faith Connection. Unit 3: for Summer 2023 quarter. The Foundry.
- False Prophets in Ephesus. Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource. Summer 2022 publishing date, The Foundry.
- Feature article for Holiness Today (January/February 2020 issue): “Why Did Jesus come: To fix the OT Covenant or to fulfill it?”
- Six Expositions on 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Adult Faith Connection, Unit 1 for Summer 2021, The Foundry.
- Athens, Locations and Philosophy. Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource. Summer 2019 publishing date.
- Food Sacrificed to Idols (Revelation 2:18-29). Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource.
- Paul’s Argument for Sexual Purity (I Corinth 6:9-20). Article for Illustrated Bible Life Resource
- “Meet Five Unique Women in Jesus' Family Tree” in the “Our Message” column of the November/December 2010 issue of Holiness Today. (http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10009814)
- “Reclaiming the Radical Story,” Holiness Today, May/June 2009 (Part 1: http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008070), September/October 2009 (Part 2: http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008810) with Dr. Kent Brower
- Contributed two advent devotionals for MVNU Advent Devotional booklet (2007)
- "Truth in Any Language" Holiness Today, November/December 2006 (http://www.nph.com/nphweb/html/h2ol/article.jsp?id=10008386)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life, “Crossing Cultural Barriers" (Acts 10:34-49) (May 2006)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life: Fertility Cults and Mystery Religions (Winter 2003-2004)
- Article for Illustrated Bible Life: Views of the Inspiration of the Bible (Fall 2003)
- Column for Holiness Today: Fruit of the Spirit: Kindness. (May 2003)
- Editor's Forum panelist for Holiness Today. 11/2002
Last updated on 9/15/2022.
- Ph.D. in Religion, The Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California (1996)
- Dissertation: Holiness and Sexual Ethics in Paul: An Analysis of the Use of Social Sciences in the Study of the New Testament
- M.A. in Religion, The Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California (1993)
- M.A. in Missions Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Missouri (1978)
- M.Div. in Biblical Studies Summa Cum Laude, Nazarene Theological Seminary, Kansas City, Missouri (1977)
- B.A. in Biblical Literature/Language Magna Cum Laude, Mid-America Nazarene University, Olathe, Kansas (1974)