Dr. John Noonan
In The News
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (May 6, 2022) — Mount Vernon Nazarene University celebrated 533 graduates in the Class of 2022 for their determination, resolve and faithfulness in earning their degrees during the university’s commencement ceremonies in the R.R. Hodges Chapel/Auditorium on Saturday, April 30, 2022.
- Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, 2005-present.
- Chairperson, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, 2001-2021.
- Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, 2001-2005.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, 1997-2001.
- Teaching Assistant, Temple University, 1996-1997.
- Instructor, Department of Mathematics, Community College of Philadelphia, 1996-1997.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Mathematics, Temple University 1992-1995.
- Instructor, Russell Conwell Center at Temple University, 1993.
- Mathematical Association of America, 1995-present
- American Mathematical Society, 1992-1997
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1994-1997
- SIAM activity group on discrete mathematics, 1994-1997
Awards and Recognition
- President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, MVNU, 2022
- Excellence in Advising and Retention Award, MVNU, 2018
- Faculty Member of the Year, MVNU, 2010
- Teaching Merit, Temple University Department of Mathematics, 1995 & 1996
- Honors in Mathematics, Houghton College, 1991
Published Works & Presentations
- "How the Government Shutdown Derailed My Plans for a Series of Introduction to Statistics Projects and How I got the Projects Back on Track,” Mathematics Association of America, Cincinnati, 2019
- "Solutions to a generalization of the mixture problem from differential equations," Mathfest, Mathematics Association of America, August 7, 2010 at the Omni Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh, PA
- "How to ride a Unicycle," Mathematics Association of America Ohio Section Conference, April 11, 2008 at Marietta College
- "Developmental Mathematics Labs," MAA Ohio Section Meeting, Portsmouth, Ohio, April 13, 2007
- "How to mix the perfect Latt," ACMS Biennial Conference, Messiah College, May 30, 2007
- "Developmental Mathematics Labs," ACMS Biennial Conference, Messiah College, May 31, 2007
- "The Consequences of Believing in an Infinite God", Mars Hill Review, 20, 37-44. 2002
- "The Goulden and Jackson Method; Extensions, Applications and Implementations", with Doron Zeilberger, J. of Difference Equ. and Appl. 5 355-377. 1999
- "New Upper Bounds for the Connective Constants of Self-Avoiding Walk", Journal of Statistical Physics, 91, p871-888. 1998
- "The Enumeration of Permutations with a Prescribed Number of “Forbidden” Patterns", with Doron Zeilberger, Advances in Applied Mathematics, 17, 381-407. 1996
- "The Number of Permutations Containing Exactly One Increasing Subsequence of Length Three," Discrete Mathematics, 152, 307-313. 1996
- Ph.D. Mathematics, Temple University, Pennsylvania, 1997
- B.S. Mathematics and General Science, Houghton College, New York, 1991