Dr. Barnett Cochran
In The News
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio — Dr. Henry W. Spaulding II, president of Mount Vernon Nazarene University, proudly announces the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) has reaffirmed the university’s accreditation. The next review process will take place in 2028-2029.
- Vice-President for Academic Affairs, 2013
- Associate Professor, History, Assistant Professor, 1999-2002.
- Concord College, Athens, WV, Assistant Professor of History 1998-99
- Whitefield Academy, Founding Faculty, 1997-98
- Georgia State University, Adjunct Instructor, 1996-97
- Emory University, Teaching Associate, 1991-94
- History of Science Society
- Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- T.A.T.T.O. Award - Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching Fellowship, Emory University
- Benjamin Prize - Emory University Departmental Award for Outstanding Seminar Paper, 1987 "Robert Boyle and the Mechanical Philosophy."
- Department of History Fellowship, Emory University, 1988-91
- English-Speaking Union, Research Grant, 1993
- "Enlightenment and its Discontents: Robert Wallace and Jean-Jacques Rousseau on the Republic of Virtue." in France and Scotland in the Enlightenment, Forthcoming, 2000, published for the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society.
- "Robert Wallace." Article for the New Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press. Forthcoming, Under Contract.
- "Virtue and Interest: George Turnbull, sympathetic capitalism and British National Identity in the Scottish Enlightenment." The Annual Meeting of the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Notre Dame, Indiana, April, 1998.
- "Liberty and Refinement: Images of London and the Problem of Scottish National Identity." Annual Meeting of the Mid-West Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies and the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society, Chicago, Illinois, October, 1997.
- "Cultural Constructions of Sexuality in the Scottish Enlightenment: Robert Wallace and 'Of Venery.'" Annual Meeting of the Western Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, university of California, Berkeley, February, 1997.
- "Reform and Utopia: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Robert Wallace and the Classical Republican Tradition." Annual Meeting of the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society, in conjunction with the Groupement De Recherche Etudes Ecossaises, in Gernoble, France, July, 1996.
- Ph.D. in History, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (1997)
- M.A. in History, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (1993)
- B.S. in History Secondary Education, Asbury College, Wilmore Kentucky (1984)