Dr. Barnett Cochran
In The News
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (Feb. 3, 2022) – Mount Vernon Nazarene University has received a nearly $48,000 Program Development Grant award from NetVUE to fund the expansion of vocational exploration in the student experience at MVNU. The grant will be used May 1 through April 30, 2024.
- Vice-President for Academic Affairs, 2013
- Associate Professor, History, Assistant Professor, 1999-2002.
- Concord College, Athens, WV, Assistant Professor of History 1998-99
- Whitefield Academy, Founding Faculty, 1997-98
- Georgia State University, Adjunct Instructor, 1996-97
- Emory University, Teaching Associate, 1991-94
- History of Science Society
- Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
- T.A.T.T.O. Award - Graduate Student Excellence in Teaching Fellowship, Emory University
- Benjamin Prize - Emory University Departmental Award for Outstanding Seminar Paper, 1987 "Robert Boyle and the Mechanical Philosophy."
- Department of History Fellowship, Emory University, 1988-91
- English-Speaking Union, Research Grant, 1993
- "Enlightenment and its Discontents: Robert Wallace and Jean-Jacques Rousseau on the Republic of Virtue." in France and Scotland in the Enlightenment, Forthcoming, 2000, published for the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society.
- "Robert Wallace." Article for the New Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press. Forthcoming, Under Contract.
- "Virtue and Interest: George Turnbull, sympathetic capitalism and British National Identity in the Scottish Enlightenment." The Annual Meeting of the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Notre Dame, Indiana, April, 1998.
- "Liberty and Refinement: Images of London and the Problem of Scottish National Identity." Annual Meeting of the Mid-West Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies and the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society, Chicago, Illinois, October, 1997.
- "Cultural Constructions of Sexuality in the Scottish Enlightenment: Robert Wallace and 'Of Venery.'" Annual Meeting of the Western Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, university of California, Berkeley, February, 1997.
- "Reform and Utopia: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Robert Wallace and the Classical Republican Tradition." Annual Meeting of the Eighteenth-Century Scottish Studies Society, in conjunction with the Groupement De Recherche Etudes Ecossaises, in Gernoble, France, July, 1996.
- Ph.D. in History, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (1997)
- M.A. in History, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia (1993)
- B.S. in History Secondary Education, Asbury College, Wilmore Kentucky (1984)