Itinerary: Germany & Switzerland 2014
Printable Itinerary (PDF)
May 19, Monday: USA - Berlin
May 20, Tuesday: Arrival in Berlin | Berlin - Wittenberg
May 21, Wednesday: Wittenberg - Halle - Eisleben - Suhl
- Depart from Port Columbus International Airport, OH destination Berlin, Germany. Meals will be served on board.
May 22, Thursday: Eisenach - Erfurt - Wurzburg
- Tour Wittenberg, birthplace of the Reformation, where Luther lived.
- Among the sites we will visit is All Saints Castle Church
(its famous door is where Luther nailed his 95 Theses) which contains the graves of Luther and Melanchton.
- Drive to Halle and visit the University of Halle, famous for its role in the history of missions.
- Proceed to Eisleben where Luther was born in 1483 and died in 1546, see St. Andrew's Church and the Luther Monument.
- Dinner and overnight at the Arcadia Hotel.
May 23, Friday: Worms - Mainz - Heidelberg - Gomaringen
- Travel to Eisenach, birthplace of Johann Sebastian Bach, to view his house and where Luther went to Latin school.
- Drive to Wartburg Castle in the Thuringian Mountains where Luther hid after being condemned for heresy, and where he completed the translation of the New Testament into German.
- Visit the Erfurt Cathedral and the Augustinian Monastery where Luther studied.
- Proceed to Wurzburg for dinner and overnight at the Mercure Wurzburg Hotel.
May 24, Saturday: Augsburg - Konstanz - Busingen - Singen
- Drive to Worms, where Luther challenged the Church with his famous "Here I Stand" and where William Tyndale completed the printing of his New Testament in 1525.
- Visit St. Peter's Church and see the Luther Memorial.
- Continue on to Mainz to visit the Gutenberg Museum.
- Drive on to Heidelberg, home of the famous university and stronghold of German Reformed Protestants in the last half of the 16th century where the Heidelberg Catechism was produced in 1563.
- From there we continue on to the Hotel Arcis in Gomaringen for dinner and overnight.
May 25, Sunday: Stein am Rhein - Zurich - Zollikon - Lucerne - Mulhouse
- Drive to Augsburg, with its cathedral dating from 994, its Renaissance-style Town Hall, and St. Anne's Church where Luther met the papal
legate in 1518 and visit other significant Reformation sites.
- Continue West to Konstanz a resort town on the border of Germany and Switzerland where in 1415 John Hus was executed
and many historians date the beginning of the Reformation.
- Drive on to Busingen to visit the campus of European Nazarene College,
formerly European Nazarene Bible College, which has been preparing students for vocational work in churches and Christian organizations for nearly 50 years.
- End the day in Singen for dinner and overnight at the
Best Western Hotel Lamm.
May 26, Monday: Bern - Interlaken - Montreux - Geneva
May 27, Tuesday: Geneva
- Enter Switzerland and drive to Stein Am Rhein, known for decorative frescoes, including a mural of Zwingli, the most influential Swiss Reformer.
- We travel on to Zurich, Switzerland's largest city and Zwingli's home.
- Visit the Grossmuenster Cathedral, and other Reformation related sites.
- Visit the home of Conrad Grebel, and the site of Manz's execution.
- Travel to Zollikon where the first Anabaptist baptisms took place.
- Drive to Lucerne, situated on Lake Lucerne with splendid views of Mount Pilatus and Mount Rigi.
- Visit the Chapel Bridge, the Lion Monument, Old Towne and the Spreuer Bridge.
- Enter France en route to Mulhouse for dinner and overnight at the Best Western Hotel de la Bourse.
- Tour Geneva surrounded by Alpine peaks and the Jura mountains.
- Visit St. Pierre's Cathedral where John Calvin taught.
- Visit Calvin's residence and the Reformation Monument.
- Dinner and overnight at Hotel Internationale & Terminus.
May 28, Wednesday: Geneva - USA
- After breakfast we transfer to the airport for our return flight to the United States. Additional meals served on board.
(Last updated 7/3/2013)