Mount Vernon Nazarene University: Life Changing
Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a requirement for living on of campus?

Mount Vernon Nazarene University's traditional campus has existed from its beginning as a residential campus—a place where students come to both learn and live together in an environment of academic focus and biblical purpose. There is much value in living together in a Christian community, which is apparent in the social, spiritual, emotional and academic development of MVNU students. This is magnified by the development of lifelong relationships that are the product of community living. To demonstrate a commitment to the residential experience, MVNU requires traditional students to reside in campus housing for the duration of their studies at MVNU as defined below.

  • MVNU requires that all residential students (including PSEO students) be between the ages of 17 and 25 by August 31 of the current academic year (students who are younger than 17 and older than 25 are eligible to petition to stay on campus through the Office of Student Life).
  • To be eligible to reside anywhere other than MVNU campus housing, students are required to meet at least one of the follow criteria:
    1. Living in the primary residence of a parent (maximum 60 miles from campus)
    2. Taking six credit hours or less per semester
    3. Legally married or the parent/guardian of a child
    4. Age 23 or older prior to August 31 of that school year

Campus housing is assigned by the office of Student Life after receipt of 1) student's completed Housing Contract, 2) Medical History form, 3) $150 housing deposit and 4) $100 tuition deposit.

Is it possible to request a roommate or make changes to the housing assignment?

Whenever possible, students are assigned roommates on the basis of their written request on their Room and Roommate Preferences form or requests made at a New Student Orientation. During the academic year, Resident Directors will supervise any requests for housing assignment changes. Most requests are discouraged in the first semester, but if a student makes a request at the end of the first semester or during the second semester, the Resident Director must grant permission prior to any changes.

Students can report roommate (apartment) conflicts to their Resident Assistant (serious issues should be reported directly to the Resident Director). The Residence Life staff will assist students with mediation and help roommates and apartment-mates communicate issues with one another.

Is insurance needed for personal belongings?

The University is not liable for property damage of personal belongings. Students should be sure their property is covered by parents' homeowner's policy, or obtain a policy on their own items.

What items should not be brought to campus?

The orientation handbook contains a list of items to bring to MVNU. Please note the following items not allowed:

  • Air conditioners (exceptions for medical reasons upon request to the Director of Student Health Services and with written verification of need from student's physician)
  • Cooking utensils or appliances with an open coil (includes toaster ovens)
  • Microwaves (one provided in each residence area lobby; apartment areas have one microwave per apartment and that must remain located in the kitchen area)
  • Halogen lamps or bulbs
  • Loft type furniture not provided by MVNU and beds from home (extra-long mattresses may be provided by request)
  • Carpet that requires being taped to the floor
  • Furnishings that require holes drilled into the walls or furniture
  • Irons without automatic shut off system
  • More than one upholstered chair per room (must be labeled "flame retardant" and is restricted to 60 inches in length)
What if assistance is needed in residence area?

A Resident Director lives in each residence area and the Resident Director on duty is available on a 24 hour basis to assist students. Additionally, each floor or apartment wing has one student Resident Assistant designated to assist students on their floor or unit. A student Residence Health Advisor is "on call" from 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m. to assist in medical emergencies.

Are laundry services available?

Washers and Dryers are located in the residence areas throughout campus and are available to residential students during the school year. Residential student's room and board fees cover the expense of the coin-free system. During the school year, residential students have unlimited access to these facilities.

During the summer months, the laundry facilities are available for summer students on a coin-based system.

Are there dress standards at MVNU?

Modesty is the prevailing theme for community member attire; this is meant to be a reflection of both the mission of the University and our biblical mandate to respect our brothers and sisters in Christ. All community members are expected to select clothing consistent with the values of the University. Attire which is sexually provocative, too revealing, or displays advertisements or language violating or encouraging the violation of lifestyle guidelines is not acceptable and may result in disciplinary action. For safety and health reasons, students should always have appropriate footwear in campus buildings.

While the above policy reflects broad parameters for community attire, individual faculty and staff members may establish more specific standards for particular campus settings and/or programs based on professional standards or appropriateness for specific occasions and activities.

Are cars and bikes permitted on campus?

All students are permitted to have motor vehicles on campus. All cars and bicycles must be registered with Campus Safety. Bikes must be kept in bike racks located near each residence area.

Is there a shuttle service available?

MOTA (Mid Ohio Transit Authority) provides shuttle service every 30 minutes to various locations in Mount Vernon. The shuttle stop is located in front of the R.R. Hodges Chapel, in the north Chapel parking lot. Students should call 392-7026 to verify service times.

Are overnight guests permitted in the residence areas?

A student may have up to three same gender, individual overnight visitors in his/her room per month with a limit of three nights per month. All visitors must be registered with the Resident Director prior to staying on campus. Childcare or baby-sitting is not permitted in any campus area.

What does the MVNU disciplinary process entail?

Disciplinary issues are generally presented to Resident Directors and/or the Director of Residence Life or the Director of Student Life or Vice President for Student Life. As much as possible, students will be given the option for community service in lieu of fines unless damage to university property has been incurred. Systems of accountability, such as counseling, meetings with residence hall staff, written reflection, and social probation are used for behavioral intervention. When it is necessary for a student to be suspended from classes and/or campus for a period of time, students will be asked to notify parents of their suspension. Please refer to the Student Handbook for the full policies defining disciplinary infractions and the university response.

Is there a curfew for students?
Freshmen: 12:00 am on Monday through Thursday
1:30 am on Friday and Saturday
1:00 am on Sunday
Upperclassmen: 1:00 am on Monday through Thursday
2:30 am on Friday and Saturday
2:00 am on Sunday

Students are permitted overnight sign-outs to visit friends and family. Sign-out information should be entered online in the student's portal (

Are there quiet hours?

Quiet hours from 10:00 pm - 10:00am encourage a study atmosphere in the residence living areas. Study rooms are available in each dormitory.

Do students have access to storage:

Students are required to store personal belongings in their respective housing assignment. Students are not permitted to store any personal belongings at the university during the summer. Students are encouraged to limit personal belongings brought to campus.

All residential students are required to be on the University's meal plan.

Off-campus students may purchase meals at the Dining Commons. Meals may also be purchased at the Student Accounts window using credit on a student account; please see Student Accounts for details.

Are students required to have MVNU health insurance?

All residential students are required to participate in the University's meal plan and student health insurance plan. The health plan insures access to on-campus health services and off-campus medical providers. Parents and students have found this provision helpful when unexpected student illness or emergencies mandate immediate attention by health professionals. Having all residential students covered under the student health insurance plan assures local physicians and hospital that students have coverage of medical expenses according to the plan's benefits. Immediate access to local medical services is assured regardless of family insurance coverage. Consequently, service delays or access restrictions are minimized. Benefits under the student insurance plan are described in the student health insurance brochure distributed at orientation.

Privacy Policy    Site Map     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube © 2016 Mount Vernon Nazarene University