Graduate Professional Studies Financial Aid
Mount Vernon Nazarene University's Financial Aid advisors are here to assist and counsel you through the financial aid process. We encourage you to begin the process early and to complete all the necessary forms. Click on the photo to the left for a short video of how others have been assisted.Getting started is a two-step process:
Apply to MVNU. The financial aid process cannot begin until the Admissions office has your application.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. GPS SCHOOL CODE E00782. This important step is required for any financial aid, including loans, to be awarded.
*If your FAFSA is selected by the Federal Processor for verification, additional documentation is necessary. Students must submit:
- Appropriate Verification Form
- Signed copy of tax return
- Copy of all W-2s
- Any additional supporting documentation as requested
Grants - a form of financial aid that does not have to be repaid.
- Federal Pell Grant - a federally funded need-based grant for undergraduate students. Fill out the FAFSA to apply.
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program - available to undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Fill out the FAFSA to apply.
Loans - a form of financial aid that, along with interest charges, must be repaid.
- Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan - a need-based loan program that allows students to borrow money for the purpose of financing their education. The federal government pays the interest on this loan while the student is in school and during the six-month grace period after enrollment ends. Repayment begins following the six-month grace period.
- Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan - a non need-based loan program that allows students to borrow money for the purpose of financing their education. Students can be eligible for an unsubsidized loan even if they are not eligible for the Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan. Grace period and repayment are the same, but students are responsible for paying all of the interest that accrues while they are in school.
Employer Tuition Reimbursement - When you improve your mind and add to your skills, you become more valuable to your employer. A growing number of companies believe that encouraging employees to further their education, through partial or full tuition reimbursement offers a tremendous return on their investment.
Employers deliver tuition payment differently:
- Reimbursement made directly to employee
- Payments made to the University
- Voucher payment system
The GPS Student Accounts office can provide documents required by your employer to qualify for tuition reimbursement. We will work with you and your employer to expedite payment, so you can concentrate on learning.
Additional Financial Aid InformationMVNU GPS Attendance Policy
- Federal regulations require that a student not have a break in his/her attendance of more than 45 days from the end of one course to the start of another course. A break in attendance that is 30 days or more requires one of the following:
- Fill the break with another course
- Apply for a Leave of Absence
- Withdraw from the university
MVNU GPS Financial Aid Award
- All necessary financial aid paperwork must be complete prior to the first night of class. This paperwork may include, but is not limited to FAFSA, Master Promissory Note, Entrance Counseling, and verification paperwork.
- The student will receive an award letter once attendance has been verified after the first night of class.
- The award letter will detail the student's eligibility for all forms of financial aid and will include the academic year and disbursement dates.
- Undergraduate students will be awarded their maximum eligibility for all financial aid, including Federal Stafford Loans. Students must immediately notify the Financial Aid office if they do not want part of the award.
NEW - Provost's Student Research Award: For information and application form please click here.
Schedule Changes or Course Failure
- Federal regulations require that students must successfully complete all required credit hours for each disbursement. Students will be unable to receive a new disbursement of financial aid unless this regulation is fulfilled.
- Any schedule change -- adds or drops -- will affect a student's financial aid eligibility and a new award letter will be issued. It is the student's responsibility to contact MVNU to determine the impact of the change on your award.
- Students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible to receive financial aid. This includes maintaining a specific grade point average and making continuous progress toward completing your program within a specific timeframe.
- The Financial Aid office is required to complete a Return of Funds Calculation if a student withdraws to determine what percentage of aid the student is eligible to keep. Based on the calculation, funds may need to be returned to the state or Department of Education. This may create an outstanding balance on a student's account. Student Accounts will adjust a student's bill once the calculation is complete.
GPS Financial Aid Contact Information
Call 1-877-431-9610, option 1Helpful Links
- Complete the FAFSA online - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Apply to electronically sign the FAFSA - http://www.pin.ed.gov
- The US Department of Education - http://www.ed.gov
- TEACH Grant - http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/ english/TEACH.jsp
- Direct Lending Master Promissory Note - https://www.studentloans.gov
- General financial aid information - http://www.finaid.org
- Free outside scholarship search - http://www.fastweb.com
- Leave of Absence Policy
- Leave of Absence Form
- Financial Aid Brochure