Dr. Karen Doenges
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3223
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University, Mathematics Education, 1996.
- M.A. College of Mount St. Joseph, Education, 1988.
- B.A. Olivet Nazarene College, Mathematics, 1972.
- Certification: Ohio 8-Year Professional Certificate Data Processing, Mathematics, French, Grades 7-12.
- Dean, School of Natural and Social Sciences, June 2003
- Professor of Mathematics, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, Ohio. Math Subject Area Specialist for the Education. May, 2001 to July, 2003
- Chairperson, Department of Mathematics, May 1996 to October 2001.
- Associate Professor of Mathematics, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, Ohio. August, 1997 to May, 2001
- Chairperson, Department of Mathematics, August, 1997 to May, 2001
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, Ohio. August, 1992 to May, 2001
- Chairperson, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, 1996-1998.
- Secondary Teacher, East Knox Schools, August, 1982 to June, 1988.
- Taught French I-IV, Computer I and II, and various math classes including Precalculus, Advanced Math, Geometry, College Algebra, Senior Trigonometry, and Consumer Math. Advised French club and student council, August, 1989 to June, 1992.
- Instructor in the Education Department, Mount Vernon Nazarene College, August, 1988 to June, 1989.
- Secondary Math Teacher, Centerburg Local Schools, June, 1979 to August, 1980.
- Secondary Math and French Teacher, River View Schools, August, 1974 to August, 1977.
- Secondary Math Teacher, London City Schools, Adult Basic Education Teacher, August, 1972 to August, 1974.
Awards and Recognition:
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics (OCTM)
- American Association for Higher Education
- The Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (ACMS)
- The Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Mathematical Educational Reform Forum
- One of three members of the National Committee appointed by the College Board to revise the CLEP Trigonometry Exam (9/1998 through 12/2002)
Published Works & Presentations:
- President's Award for Excellence in Teaching May 2000
- Knox County Board of Education "Golden Apple" Award, May 1993.
- Eisenhower Professional Improvement Plan Grant ($2500), 1991, Gender, Visualization Skills and Graphing Calculator Use in the Precalculus Classroom.
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2000, 2002, 2004
- Delta Kappa Gamma International Honor Society for Women Educators, November 2003
Favorite Subject-Related Links:
Favorite Scripture Verse:
- Wrote Instructional Module for Title III Technology Grant (1993-1994) "Welcome to Alge-Blaster Plus!" for use in Intermediate Algebra.
- Dissertation: Spatial Skills, Confidence, Gender, and Graphing Calculator Use in the Precalculus Classroom.
- Presentation of project using animation, The Geometer's Sketchpad, and the TI-82 Graphing Calculator at NSF technology workshop at The Ohio State University, July,1995.
- Conducted Faculty Workshop on Classmaster 2.0+ Electronic Gradebook at Faculty Institute Fall 1998 and Classmaster Workshops 2002-2003.
- Presented at two sessions of the Association of Christian Schools International Dayton Convention, November 13, 2003 “What does my faith have to do with Mathematics?”-making connections between our Faith and mathematics and “Be all that you can be!” Strategies for preparing your students for College Mathematics
Something You Didn't Know about Me:
- Psalms 37:4 - "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
- Colossians 3:23 - "And whatever you do, do your best as an offering to the Lord-not for men." [Karen’s paraphrase]
I enjoy flower gardening