|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration |
Dr. JoAnn Koh-Baker
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3008
- Ph.D. in Musicology (double concentration in Music History and Theory), Boston University, 1998.
- Masters in Music (Music Theory), Boston University, 1991.
- Masters in Music (Piano Performance-Pedagogy), Ohio University, 1989
- B.A., 1986, National University of Singapore
- Performer's Diploma (L.T.C.L.), Trinity College of Music, London, U.K., 1983
- Professor of Music, Fall 2007-Present
- Associate Professor of Music, Fall 2003-Spring 2007
- Assistant Professor of Music, Fall 1999-Spring 2003
- Society for Music Theory
- American Musicological Society
- College Music Society
- Society for Ethnomusicology
- Music Teachers National Association
Honors and Awards:
- “Chopin’s Piano Concerto in F Minor, Op. 21” Faculty Piano Recital (2 Pianos), Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Ohio, 9/2008.
- “Integrating Analysis into Performance: Formal Principles and Hidden Program in Chopin’s Piano Concerto in F minor, Op. 21” Faculty Lecture-Recital (2 Pianos), School of Arts and Humanities Symposium, MVNU, 9/2008.
- Guest Artist Lecture-recital, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 7/2008
- Guest Artist Piano Recital (2 Pianos), School of the Arts, Singapore, 7/2008
- "Fluxus: Seeing is Not Believing" Performance-Art, Music and Art collaboration, MidAmerica Nazarene University, Olathe, Kansas, 3/2007.
- "In the Spirit of Fluxus" Music and Art collaborative performance, Art Works on Main Gallery, Mansfield, OH, 4/2006.
- "Edvard Grieg and the Hardanger Fiddle: Nationalistic Elements in his Piano Concerto" Guest artist Lecture-recital as part of the Lunchtime Recital Series at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore, 1/2005
- Featured recitalist as part of the Sundays at Five Concerts 2004-2005 Season at Graves Recital Hall, Columbus, OH, 11/2004
- Featured Soloist (Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16) on the opening 39th Season 2004-2005 concert with Knox County Symphony, Mount Vernon, OH, 10/2004
- Norwegian Folk Sonorities in Edvard Griegs Piano Concerto Faculty Lecture-Recital. Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon, OH, 9/2004
- "Chopin and Cowell: Integrating Analysis into Performance" Faculty Piano Lecture-Recital. Mt Vernon Nazarene University, Mount Vernon OH 10/2002
- "Indeterminacy, Fluxus" Faculty Piano Recital in Collaboration with Don Boyd, Artist. Mt Vernon Nazarene University, 5/2002
Published Works and Presentations:
- Who's Who of American Women, 2007, 2008, 2009,
- International Jury Member for World Pianovision Competition, 11th World Piano Pedagogy Conference, Atlanta, GA, 2006
- Nominee for Faculty Award, School of Arts and Humanities, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, 2004-5
- Summer Research Mini-Grant, Faculty Development Committee, Mount Vernon Nazarene University, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010,
- Graduate Scholarship and Assistantship, Graduate Scool of Arts and Sciences, Boston University, 1992-1998
- Departmental Honor in Music History and Literature, Boston University, 1994
- Academic Excellence, Dean's List, School of Music, Ohio University, 1987-1988
- "Deepening Musical Interpretation: Listening and Understanding Musical Form in Practice." Paper presented at 14th World Piano Pedagogy Conference, Arizona, 10/2009 (also published in online subscription www.pianovision.com)
- “Integrating Analysis into Performance: Formal Principles and Hidden Program in Chopin’s Piano Concerto in F minor, Op. 21” Paper presented at Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Honolulu, 1/2009
- Guest Artist Piano Master Class, “Piano Master Class incorporating Musical Analysis” School of the Arts, Singapore, 7/2008
- Guest Artist Piano Master Class, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 7/2008
- "Mirror of Tree, Mirror of Field". Concert program annotation for the celebration series concert on the life and music of Toru Takemitsu as part of the 80th Anniversary Concert Season 2005-6 presented by the Library of Congress, D.C.
- "The Influence of Norwegian Folk Fiddle Tradition on Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto". Paper presented at the International Conference of the College Music Society, Spain, 6/2005.
- "Music Culture in Singapore," in Asian Composers in the 20th Century. Japan Federation of Composers, Inc., 2002. (This book is also published in Japanese)
- "Towards a Global Music: the "Universal Egg" and Toru Takemitsu's November Steps (1967)". Paper presented at the National Conference of the Society for Ethnomusicology, 1999.
- "Toru Takemitsu and the Japanese Garden: Temporal Continuity and Formal Processes in Fantasma/Cantos (1991)". Paper presented at the national conference of the Society for Music Theory, 1998.
- "Eastern Aesthetics in Twentieth Century Piano Music ". Invited lecture given at the World Piano Music Festival. Longy School of Music, MA, 1998.
- "Temporal Proportions in Toru Takemitsu's Requiem for Strings (1957) and their relation to Some techniques of Film Music Composition". Paper presented at the Symposium for Music of Japan Today III: Tradition and Innovation. Hamilton College, New York, 1997.