|MVNU Home / Academics / Faculty, Staff and Administration |
Dr. Christopher Devine
(740) 392-6868 Ext. 3716
- Ph.D. (Political Science), The Ohio State University, 2011.
- M.A. (Political Science), The Ohio State University, 2008.
- B.A. (Government, English), Connecticut College, 2006.
- Assistant Professor of Political Science, Mount Vernon Nazarene University (2011 – present)
- Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University (2009 – 2011)
Awards and Recognition:
- American Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
Published Works & Presentations:
- MVNU Faculty Development Committee Grant (with Hank Spaulding), Summer 2015
- Henry R. Spencer Award for Best Dissertation in Political Science, The Ohio State University (2010–2011)
- Randall Ripley Graduate Research Grant, The Ohio State University’s Department of Political Science (2010)
- Research Funding, Time-Sharing Experiments for the Social Sciences (2010); for more information, see: http://www.tessexperiments.org/data/devine795.html
Favorite Subject-Related Links:
Favorite Scripture Verse:
- Devine, Christopher J., and Kyle C. Kopko. 2016. The VP Advantage: How Running Mates Influence Home State Voting in Presidential Elections. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press.
- Kopko, Kyle K., E. Fletcher McClellan, Christopher J. Devine, Jillian E. Casey, and Julia L. Ward. 2016. "The Politics of the Presidential Medal of Freedom: A Fifty-Year Analysis, 1963-2013." The New England Journal of Political Science.
- Devine, Christopher J. 2015. "Ideological Social Identity: Psychological Attachment to Ideological In-Groups as a Political Phenomenon and a Behavioral Influence." Political Behavior 37(3): 509-535.
- Devine, Christopher J., and Kyle C. Kopko. 2013. "Presidential Versus Vice Presidential Home State Advantage: A Comparative Analysis of Electoral Significance, Causes, and Processes, 1884-2008." Presidential Studies Quarterly 43(4): 814-838.
- Devine, Christopher J. 2012. "Social Issues, Authoritarianism, and Ideological Conceptualization: How Policy Dimensions and Psychological Factors Influence Ideological Labeling." 2012. Political Psychology 33(4): 531-552.
Media citations for my co-authored research including the following:
Vice presidential home state advantage
Presidential Medal of Freedom
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18
16 Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. 17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now, rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. (NLT)
Past jobs and/or current hobbies unrelated to your profession:
Past jobs: I published two biographies of baseball players, as a teenager: Thurman Munson: A Baseball Biography (2001), and Harry Wright: The Father of Professional Base Ball (2003). My career plan was to become a sportswriter – that was, until I discovered an even better sport (politics).
Hobbies: Time with my wife, Trudy, and two sons, Hayes and Miles… Baseball (Cleveland Indians)… Visiting each U.S. President's official home/museum – 26 down, 16 to go (counting ones that currently exist).